Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had similar problem. This has happened 4 times. Hit the keyfob to unlock car. Get in, put key in ignition (if door is still open I get the dinging sound that the key is in the ignition), turn key, absolutely nothing. Now nothing works, radio, lights, door locks won't operate even with the keyfob. Attach jumper cables to battery, touch other end of cables together to get a spark. Put cables away, get in & start the Jeep. This is a very intermittent problem, 4 times in last 2 months. 48K miles & never had a problem in the past. Looking for any advice/suggestions you can give me before I take it to my mechanic.

·
Super Moderator
15,377 Posts
Thread moved from JL Tech to JK Tech.

If this is in error let me know and I'll move it back. :thumb:

If you're still on your factory battery then it's likely going out. A 2016 would be due at 48k IMO. Your local parts store can test it for you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Guess I wasn't paying close enough attention, I thought I put this in the JK forum, thanks for correcting that.

Had the battery tested last oil change & was told it was good. When this happened, I didn't need to jump it just needed to short the battery to get a spark & everything was good. No problems for the last couple weeks & no indication of a weak battery.

·
Super Moderator
15,377 Posts
Guess I wasn't paying close enough attention, I thought I put this in the JK forum, thanks for correcting that.

Had the battery tested last oil change & was told it was good. When this happened, I didn't need to jump it just needed to short the battery to get a spark & everything was good. No problems for the last couple weeks & no indication of a weak battery.
I'm still skeptical mainly because I've had terrible luck with factory batteries. And like I mentioned, you're due based on age and mileage IMO.

Another thing to check is to make sure the terminals are fully seated on the posts, I've made that mistake. I use a large socket and tap them down (gently) with a mallet. They should be all the way down on the post.

Good luck! :thumb:

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Sounds like a bad ground connection somewhere. Shorting the battery like that isn't the best idea. I would try disconnecting the battery for a few seconds and see if it has the same effect.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Check the neg connection on the battery. Must be clean and tight.

·
Registered
336 Posts
My factory battery died a very sudden death. Got home from work...went back out to the bank.. no issues. Dead when I got out of the bank. One of the start tries caused the dash to absolutely freak out with every light (plus a few I didn't know I had!) lit up before going dark. Wouldn't jump either.

New battery... back on the road.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Check the neg connection on the battery. Must be clean and tight.
I'd change a few words in your response and say to change the negative garbage Chrysler terminal made from stamped garbage designed by a moron.

You might have guessed, I had this problem. $3 Autozone terminals are about a million percent better than the Fiat garbage.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had the same issue, if you can jump it, then it is probably a battery. I stopped to get gas and got stuck at the pump. Mine started with a few no-starts over a week or two then suddenly dead. I'd take it to auto zone and just have them test the battery before you pay anyone to do anything.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Checked the terminals on the battery & it all looks good. Sounds like I need to have the battery checked again. Thanks for your responses.

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
I had this happen and I hand checked the ground connection on the battery and it seemed tight. I un-did it and tightened it back down again it Jeep started right up. sometimes those ground connections on the battery seem tight, but they aren't tight enough. just a thought to check again.

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
I had this happen and I hand checked the ground connection on the battery and it seemed tight. I un-did it and tightened it back down again it Jeep started right up. sometimes those ground connections on the battery seem tight, but they aren't tight enough. just a thought to check again.
The removal of that neg reset PCM? Like resetting your modem? Just curious. Don't flame me!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts