Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
why a pentastar killer and not just better than a pentastar?:nonono:
make the 3.8 give you more horsepower than the pentastar, but please don't kill the engine in my JKU-R. :surrender:

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
why a pentastar killer and not just better than a pentastar?:nonono:
make the 3.8 give you more horsepower than the pentastar, but please don't kill the engine in my JKU-R. :surrender:
I think I did say that?

Maybe not a Pentastar Killer, but give you better throttle response.

Something between a Hemi and a Penastar?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Perhaps a pentastar killer... of course, until the same supercharging is then done to the pentastar! I had a TRD supercharger in my Tacoma, HP increased from 185 to 265 or so... was nice, until I made the mistake of a shift kit, then the vehicle slamming into gears (needed to learn shift points and pedal articulation) got to be disturbing unless I was paying very close attention... I'd do a supercharger again, but not so sure for a Jeep... at least I say that now.

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
Within a few months, someone is going to slap a turbo on a pentastar. The motor is stout, and can handle an easy 400hp, adding bucketloads of low end torque. The pentastar is a very capable motor, just give it some time. Turboed pentastars are going to be Hemi killers soon enough.

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
NFRs2000NYC said:
Within a few months, someone is going to slap a turbo on a pentastar. The motor is stout, and can handle an easy 400hp, adding bucketloads of low end torque. The pentastar is a very capable motor, just give it some time. Turboed pentastars are going to be Hemi killers soon enough.
I'd agree with that. Kind of like ford's Eco-boost engine. I'm pretty sure it makes more Hp and torque than their V8

·
Registered
16,641 Posts
Meh.. RIPP has had a supercharger out for the 3.8 for a long time now. They are a nice bolt on mod but with it comes having to sure up your drivetrain and a raise in gas prices since they aren't meant to be run using regular

·
MARGARET, 10-14-51\6-1-12
10,296 Posts
WOW, that looks to be a much better set up than the ripp.SC. i would like to see one installed on a JK.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Competition is good.

Careful for the early adopters though--anybody can pump extra air through the 3.8, the trick is to do it without sending the CPU into freak out mode. There are other SCs for the 3.8, RIPP has just produced the most factory like product as I understand it.

·
Premium Member
1,408 Posts
I don't wan to kill anyone, just get a little more MPG so I can have more FPT... Fun per Tank :dance:

·
Registered
173 Posts
NFRs2000NYC said:
What about the pentastar tells you it's good to 400hp? Anyone tear one down yet?
It'll be harder than you think-1, there isn't a large aftermarket crowd to make it worth while and 2-the exhaust manis are cast into the lower block. Thatll make for some fun piping.....

·
Registered
991 Posts
I'd agree with that. Kind of like ford's Eco-boost engine. I'm pretty sure it makes more Hp and torque than their V8
I'd agree with that. My dad has a new f150 with the V6 ecoboost.. better gas mileage and more power than the V8.. pretty nice. I would expect that for jeep someday too..

I have a 2011 , likely going to change the gears for some life and to comp for soon to be installed taller tires..

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hmm. Ricey. Slap a turbo D and then we're talking. Good MPG and Tay-orgue! I know Fiat is wanting but maybe the past daddy (MB) can throw a brother a bluetech?

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
What about the pentastar tells you it's good to 400hp? Anyone tear one down yet?
It'll be harder than you think-1, there isn't a large aftermarket crowd to make it worth while and 2-the exhaust manis are cast into the lower block. Thatll make for some fun piping.....
Rear undermount turbo comes to mind. In a JK, it wouldn't be too easy to fit a turbo under the hood. You can probably get it under the motor, but that may kill some valuable ground clearance. I haven't spent too much time underneath the truck yet (too damn cold) but I will in the spring. A nice small turbo will allow the motor to gain an easy 100hp, 100tq, and another 10mpg without breaking a sweat. Gas mileage is dependent on one thing, and one thing only, the TPS. The throttle position sensor dictates to your injectors how much fuel to dump. Since the JK isn't "that powerful" you need to bury your foot deeper into the carpet to get the car up to speed, moving, maintaining speed, etc. With a turbo, there is far more power everywhere, thus requiring LESS gas to keep the momentum going. On my s2000, after I went with a turbo setup, I instantly gained 10mpg, can easily pass in 6th, and doubled the wheel horsepower. I went from 183whp to 400whp. Not bad, while getting 35mpg. The car OEM is rated at 24.

As for aftermarket demand, luckily for us, Chrysler stuck this motor damn near into every production car they make. There is a market there, trust me. Someone will jump on it.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.