Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

So, I'm keeping my truck. Instead of getting a new 2012, my plan is to purchase a used Unlimited and work the hell out of it. I have the mentality that Jeeps are built, not bought *ducking from the flames*.

ANYhow...I'm looking over various models, and it's hard to find a use Rubicon. I see a lot of used X's, Sports, & Saharas. I'm no sure what an X is, but it seems like it could be the first model name for the basic 4dr Unlimited?!

Regardless of all that, I wanted the sway bar disconnect, and the rear diffy locking features of the Rubicon. So, is it possible to make a non Rubicon "similar" in features with aftermarket parts (e.g. locker, sway bar quick disconnects).

I'd like to know what those here use for lockers and disconnects. I searched the forums and seems like a lot of people actually make their own, AND I've seen people putting them on Rubicons. This confuses me since I thought that was part of the standard options of a Rubi.

My plan when getting a used Unlimited: 3.5/4" lift, 35's, rear diffy changed to 4.10:1, RIPP s/c, and various fun changes to make it mine. I like those 2 options of the Rubicon, but just wanted to know if I get into a good used "other" model Unlimited, I can get it to that point.

Thanks,

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
ANYhow...I'm looking over various models, and it's hard to find a use Rubicon. I see a lot of used X's, Sports, & Saharas. I'm no sure what an X is, but it seems like it could be the first model name for the basic 4dr Unlimited?!
X = Sport. I forget which years used which nomenclature, but an X is a Sport. They're both the "intro" level Wrangler.

Regardless of all that, I wanted the sway bar disconnect, and the rear diffy locking features of the Rubicon. So, is it possible to make a non Rubicon "similar" in features with aftermarket parts (e.g. locker, sway bar quick disconnects).
Rubis have front and rear e-lockers, front sway bar e-discos, 4:1 t-case, 4.10 gear ratio (optional in 2012, standard previously), rock rails, D44 front axle, and some other stuff I'm probably forgeting.

If you've got the cash, you can easily "make" a Rubi aftermarket. With Wranglers, you can make ANYTHING aftermarket.

However, it's not worth it--you'd spend much more than you would've just buying the Rubi in the first place. The better play is either to get a Sport/X/Sahara and make it how you want it, regardless of what a Rubi has, or just get a Rubi.

A Rubi is the best "out of the box" offroader available, but it's still a "cookie cutter" item. For example, do you really want front AND rear lockers, or would your needs be better met with a rear LSD and maybe a front locker? If you want a rear LSD, then maybe a Rubi isn't for you. Do you plan on doing a lot of rock crawling, or are you more of a trail guy? If you're going to stay at 35" tires or lower and you don't plan on doing rock gardens, then maybe paying extra for a D44 front axle isn't really where you want to spend your money. Etc. You've got to educate yourself and choose the best tool for the job.

But in any event, if you're just going to REBUILD a Rubi, then you should just get a Rubi at the get go.

I'd like to know what those here use for lockers and disconnects. I searched the forums and seems like a lot of people actually make their own, AND I've seen people putting them on Rubicons. This confuses me since I thought that was part of the standard options of a Rubi.
www.quadratec.com. That's a good place to start. Order their free catalog.

Nobody makes lockers and puts them on Rubicons. Rubis come with lockers. Same with the discos. So unless the Rubi parts are broken, I think you're mistaken.

My plan when getting a used Unlimited: 3.5/4" lift, 35's, rear diffy changed to 4.10:1, RIPP s/c, and various fun changes to make it mine. I like those 2 options of the Rubicon, but just wanted to know if I get into a good used "other" model Unlimited, I can get it to that point.
That's fine. You probably won't go to 4.10 though as that's not enough an improvement to make it worth the expense.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Mods add little to your resale, factory stuff tends to hold value. Get a Rubi. If you need more, lift and add bigger tires, winch, etc. as you see fit.

Unless ... you really think you're going to take this thing out further than the D44's will allow. In that case, get the cheapest thing you can cause you'll need $$$ for mods.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
and another thing. some of the mods you need to make a sport into a rubi, lockers, sway bar disco, D44, are really tough to undo if you want to sell separately. mods you would do to a rubi, bigger tires, winch, etc. are a lot easier to undo. except a lift, of course. just stuff to think about.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info my friends.

I'm going to keep looking for a Rubicon. It's what I wanted from the get go. I'm just going to have to be patient.

As for the lockers and disconnects, I worded the sentence wrong. I also don't know anyone making their own locker, but the articles I searched on this forum talked about making their own disconnects. My bad.

I do plan to use this Jeep for just about everything, that includes crawling. I use my '46 CJ-2A for that now, and it just rolls around on 33's, and I think I don't want bigger than 35's on a JK. I'd just like to be able to fit a few more people when I'm on a trail. So, I would like to go 4.10's for the low end ratio, with the added combo of this little device: Rubi-Crawler Planetary Crawl Box | Advance Adapters

My 2A gears are as follows: transmission 7.06:1, transfercase 2.46:1, diffies 5.38:1. I am not sure if I'll get down to the 93:1 in 1st & low in the JK, but I'd like to get close. Hard to go drive a Jeep without a good low gear once you've been spoiled.

Once again thanks to those who gave input. This is the reason I tell everyone to find a forum that fits their vehicle. They're quite helpful.

·
The Bad Guy
23,233 Posts
Thanks for the info my friends.

I'm going to keep looking for a Rubicon. It's what I wanted from the get go. I'm just going to have to be patient.

As for the lockers and disconnects, I worded the sentence wrong. I also don't know anyone making their own locker, but the articles I searched on this forum talked about making their own disconnects. My bad.

I do plan to use this Jeep for just about everything, that includes crawling. I use my '46 CJ-2A for that now, and it just rolls around on 33's, and I think I don't want bigger than 35's on a JK. I'd just like to be able to fit a few more people when I'm on a trail. So, I would like to go 4.10's for the low end ratio, with the added combo of this little device: Rubi-Crawler Planetary Crawl Box | Advance Adapters

My 2A gears are as follows: transmission 7.06:1, transfercase 2.46:1, diffies 5.38:1. I am not sure if I'll get down to the 93:1 in 1st & low in the JK, but I'd like to get close. Hard to go drive a Jeep without a good low gear once you've been spoiled.

Once again thanks to those who gave input. This is the reason I tell everyone to find a forum that fits their vehicle. They're quite helpful.
Think about that crawl ratio and the ginormous difference in HP.

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
Definitely start with a Rubicon if you plan on wheeling it. If it's mostly for on road use, then save money and get a Sport or Sahara.

Regarding disconnects, many lifts will come with them. I just had an RK 2.5" lift, came with it. Again, the Rubicon may be the better option because it has a push button disconnect.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Definitely start with a Rubicon if you plan on wheeling it. If it's mostly for on road use, then save money and get a Sport or Sahara.

Regarding disconnects, many lifts will come with them. I just had an RK 2.5" lift, came with it. Again, the Rubicon may be the better option because it has a push button disconnect.
I live in Idaho...and there are a thousand roads that lead out into the boonies just around every corner. I have become quite fond with the Owyhee mountains. Friends of mine and myself have named a dozen areas there where we like to crawl, climb, fjord, etc.

So, I think you're right with going Rubicon. Thanks again everyone. :thumb:

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
There's more Sport/X's because they are the most commonly sold. Sports out sales any other model by far and has a better resale valve of all models. So it isn't a bad choice.

The thing is mods don't hold value very well so many say that is why a Rubi is a better deal but most mods done would be done to the Rubi also. Really the lockers are the big deal and since many re-gear pre-2012's anyways to better work with larger tires and towing concerns, adding lockers at that time really doesn't add a whole lot to the work. Also since re-gearing helps in DD and trail, it also helps the fact of 4lo not having the 4:1 of the rubi. Another advantage to a Rubi is the front D44. You can over come that with a axle change, Teraflex makes a good replacement or you can sleeve and gusset the d30's pretty cheap especially at a re-gear work. If doing some serious rock crawling you can even get Chromoly axles.

The disconnects can be a problem since it is computer run not just a two wire hook-up. You can't just add rubi disconnects without modifing it or having the dealer program the ECU to accept them and needing the factory switch panel. But there is a write up on how to do it here: Swaybar Install but there is a manual box sold for the rubi disco that is easy to install and a lot less likely to fail in the future. Here is where they are sold EVO: Suspension/Steering, EVO MFG(9q) NoLimits Manual Rubicon Swaybar Disconnect

A Rubi is nice but you can make a great Sport with better aftermarket parts and be very satisfied. Either way, I think you can come out.

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
While we're on the subject of adding Rubicon or similar aftermarket parts: Would it make any sense to search for a Rubicon that had been totaled or something and pull off the front and/or rear differentials? Or is that a dumb idea?

It would be way in the future, but I was thinking about this as an option to add lockers. For me, not being mechanically inclined, would involve me hunting for a junked Rubicon, then paying a mechanic to strip off the differentials.

Or would it just be better to get an aftermarket one?

Also, I have a rear LSD. So would if I was going to do one locker, would it make sense for me to do the front first?

·
The Bad Guy
23,233 Posts
That'd be the reason for the RIPP supercharger. If I'm going to get a pre-2012...I definitely am going with a s/c. 202hp is below my pleasure scale. :)
Then you obviously don't have the original engine in that CJ.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
One thing to keep in mind is used rubi's hold their value alot better than the rest of the wranglers. Most folks who come into jeep ownership looking to mod will realize the savings that can be had going with a sport and upgrading it. Even though the rubi comes with lockers, 4:1 transfer case and 4:10 gearing, most folks realize that they will upgrade all those. Even new, a rubi will cost at least 3k more than a similarly loaded sport. But most folks will agree that regearing and adding lockers will only cost around 2-2.5k. If you're gonna regear it anyways, why spend the money up front?

2 best reasons for a rubi are the transfer case, and the dana44 up front. if you're going to mod it, I would save the cash and get a sport. if you just want to take the keys and enjoy, get a rubi

·
Registered
83 Posts
Depends what you plan to mod. If you are only going to run 35's stick with a rubi. If you go more extreme then get a lower model. Nice thing about jeeps unlike other cars is they all have the same engine unlike say a V6 mustang and a V8 mustang. I got the x cause I'm putting 1 tons on it so why buy a rubicon to replace everything that makes it a rubicon.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Then you obviously don't have the original engine in that CJ.
You are CORRECT sir!

Buick 231 oddfire V6. Rebuilt, with a 4 bll intake and carb. One thing I will say is that although I love lots of power, going "too big" on my CJ-2A would be a big mistake.

I've seen too many small CJ's like mine with V8's and the body and frame damage from the power, and the abuse there of.

The Buick is just the right amount power, and torque with it being an odd fire with a 50 lb fly wheel.

·
Really liking the Jeep...
1,956 Posts
Ah the age old question.
Well...as long as the age of Rubicons maybe...

Reminds me of back when I thought modifying the heck out out of a US Mail truck would be a great idea.

Sometimes going to the destination directly is fastest, although the experience you'd gain from the long journey could be very very good as well.

If I had a garage and time and plenty of "F-U" money laying around I'd LOVE to take on such a project.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Wait...so all Rubicons (unlimiteds specifically) come with the 4.10:1 diffies?
Pre-2012, yes. For 2012 and beyond, it's standard on the manual trans and optional on the autos (moving up from 3.73).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts