Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a bit new to this forum, and to most of this stuff, so please bear with me as I ask my newbie questions...

What is different (visually) from this Sahara and my LJ. Obviously the hard top and four doors, but aside from that, I see no reason why I can't make a project out of converting my LJ into something that at least looks similar to it.

Clearly the tires are huge, and perhaps a bit too big for my taste. Sill bigger tires make an obvious difference. I suspect this thing must be lifted somewhat to fit those tires, or is that a fender issue, or both?

1. Does anyone know what kind of tires and rims those are?
1.1. How much louder would those tires run on the highway than Goodyear silent armors?
1.2. How much worse would they handle on pavement?
1.3 Any guess what size tires those are?

2. Any idea how much lift is involved here?
2.1. How much on-road handling is sacrificed with each inch of lift, if any?

Thanks!
Jason

Attachments

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Looks like 35" tires. You will need a 4" suspension lift, body lift, regear, upgraded steering, and upgraded brakes. Figure spending $7,000-$10,000 to properly equip your rig to run 35s.

The tires will be loud but the rig will handle well if you purchase higher end suspension and steering components.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I'm a bit new to this forum, and to most of this stuff, so please bear with me as I ask my newbie questions... What is different (visually) from this Sahara and my LJ. Obviously the hard top and four doors, but aside from that, I see no reason why I can't make a project out of converting my LJ into something that at least looks similar to it. Clearly the tires are huge, and perhaps a bit too big for my taste. Sill bigger tires make an obvious difference. I suspect this thing must be lifted somewhat to fit those tires, or is that a fender issue, or both? 1. Does anyone know what kind of tires and rims those are? 1.1. How much louder would those tires run on the highway than Goodyear silent armors? 1.2. How much worse would they handle on pavement? 1.3 Any guess what size tires those are? 2. Any idea how much lift is involved here? 2.1. How much on-road handling is sacrificed with each inch of lift, if any? Thanks! Jason
Depends on lift kit how your ride is, to big and you will be unstable.
4" of a good lift will work, fenders can give more clearance, tires are definitely louder.

If you are mall crawling, then go rough country.
Off road pay the money.
Also, body lifts are no good.

You can do it for 2k, or the right way, for 4-15k

Bigger tires means a re gear unless you don't mind a power loss

Read and use the search bar.
Tons of info

·
Registered
510 Posts
Besides tire size, what you may be seeing that you like is the wheel size. JKs come with 17 or 18-inch wheels, and JK owners put even larger diameter wheels on as well. Most TJ owners that do a lot of off-roading stick with a 15-inch wheel that allows for a tire with taller side walls that can be deflated more for rock-crawling and “floating” over loose sand (as opposed to digging through it). If you’re not that serious about off-roading, you can go with a bigger wheel as I did (you can still go off-road... Jeep hasn't gone to larger wheels just for looks). With a 3” lift 18” wheels and 33s, I sometimes have my LJ, especially when I have the hard top, mistaken for a JKU:

·
Registered
510 Posts
Besides tire size, what you may be seeing that you like is the wheel size. JKs come with 17 or 18-inch wheels, and JK owners put even larger diameter wheels on as well. Most TJ owners that do a lot of off-roading stick with a 15-inch wheel that allows for a tire with taller side walls that can be deflated more for rock-crawling and “floating” over loose sand (as opposed to digging through it). If you’re not that serious about off-roading, you can go with a bigger wheel as I did (you can still go off-road... Jeep hasn't gone to larger wheels just for looks). With a 3” lift 18” wheels and 33s, I sometimes have my LJ, especially when I have the hard top, mistaken for a JKU:

As to your other questions:

ATX 188 wheels, Dick Cepek Crusher tires

1.1. How much louder would those tires run on the highway than Goodyear silent armors?

A lot, but I like the sound of mud tires

Taller tires have more sidewall flex, don't handle as well (unless the sidewalls are super-stiff, in which case they ride poorly). They also weigh more, as do the rims, so there's definitely a trade-off. MY LJ, with 325/60R18s (33.5x13) rides and handles fine (sidewalls aren't as tall as they would be on a smaller diameter wheel), but admittedly a little bouncy compared to stock.

Guess: 315/70R17 (about a 34x12.5)

No, but it's a JK and they don't need as much lift as we do. I know folks run 34s on JKs with 2-3" lift.

Depends on the quality of the lift, but 2" or under, very little in an LJ. You start to notice with 3" and above, but even 3" is not bad in most cases.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

As to your other questions:

ATX 188 wheels, Dick Cepek Crusher tires

A lot, but I like the sound of mud tires

Taller tires have more sidewall flex, don't handle as well (unless the sidewalls are super-stiff, in which case they ride poorly). They also weigh more, as do the rims, so there's definitely a trade-off. MY LJ, with 325/60R18s (33.5x13) rides and handles fine (sidewalls aren't as tall as they would be on a smaller diameter wheel), but admittedly a little bouncy compared to stock.

Guess: 315/70R17 (about a 34x12.5)

No, but it's a JK and they don't need as much lift as we do. I know folks run 34s on JKs with 2-3" lift.

Depends on the quality of the lift, but 2" or under, very little in an LJ. You start to notice with 3" and above, but even 3" is not bad in most cases.
Thanks for this thoughtful response. Man, there's a lot of moving parts involved here (no pun intended).

So as a rough sketch here (and this is hardly written in stone) I'm thinking I might want to:

1. Lift my suspension 2"
2. Get 17' wheels (this is synonymous with "rims", right?)
3. I'm unsure on tire size, this seems as much personal preference as it does objectively what should fit in terms of dimensions. I think 33" seems a bit too large for city/highway driving, but I don't know enough about how a 29" tire (if that even exists) would look to say that might be what I want. I know that 32" seem's slightly too large however, and my stock tires seem too small.

Feedback, criticism, and comments appreciated here.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Stock tire size was around 225/75/15, which is a 28" tire. Most will say the largest tire you should put on a stock LJ would be a 30" tire (30x9.5x15), but many put a 31x10.50x15 tire on an unlifted TJ for mostly street.

I wasn't happy with the look of my LJ, which came with a 2" lift (spacers) and 31x10.50 tires. They looked too small. I went to 32s, with the 2" lift and it looked "right", and drove like stock.

Still, I wanted a little taller, went with a 3" good-quality (Teraflex) suspension lift and my current 33(+)" tires and I'm very happy.

Here’s a pic of my LJ with 31x10.50x15s and a 2” lift, 32s with the 2” lift, 32s with the 3” lift, and finally 33s with the 3” lift. You can also make your LJ look taller by removing the side-tubes.

As you can see, all black wheels don’t help (in my opinion at least).

Finally, here’s a tire-size conversion to help you compare metric sizes to standard, and also shows what tires are available out there in these sizes. You might want something close to 32x11.50R17:

Tire Size Calculator

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awesome post, you rock.

That first pic with the black wheels, are the wheels the same size as the other pics? They look smaller, but maybe that's just an optical illusion because of the color? Also the tread pattern on the tires looks leaner as well, where as in the other three pics, the tread pattern looks more aggressively designed for off-road.

Based on these pics, the 2nd pic with the 32"s and the 2" lift seems about what I'd like to see on my jeep, although if the wheels sizes are different, I can see possible going with the larger rims and the 31" tires.

It's tough!

·
Registered
510 Posts
Awesome post, you rock.

That first pic with the black wheels, are the wheels the same size as the other pics? They look smaller, but maybe that's just an optical illusion because of the color? Also the tread pattern on the tires looks leaner as well, where as in the other three pics, the tread pattern looks more aggressively designed for off-road.

Based on these pics, the 2nd pic with the 32"s and the 2" lift seems about what I'd like to see on my jeep, although if the wheels sizes are different, I can see possible going with the larger rims and the 31" tires.

It's tough!
The black wheels were 15-inch wheels. The silvers are 18.

17 would be noticeably bigger than 15s, 16s would not.

First tires were lame A/Ts. the 32s were Goodyear Duratracs, probably the most recommended tire on this site. They're actually an AT, but look like an MT. The last (current) tires are Maxxis Bighorn MTs.

If I were you and you're not sure where you're going to go with your Jeep, go with 32s. They don't look much smaller than 33s and if you put a bigger lift on later, you won't feel like have to go get new tires. I was fine with the 32s and the 3" lift, I only changed because I wanted wider (these are almost 13.5" wide on 9" wide rims). I'm done as far as tires go.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So here's my rough sketch plan (please let me know if this makes sense, or if theres a smarter way to go about this):

1. Tires
I'm thinking about putting 31" tires on my stock 15" wheels, any thoughts on why I should blow 800 bucks on 17" wheels and go that route instead? Whats the pro's and con's?

After some research, and considering this will be a 100% on-road car (winter driving in the northeast and ski mountains aside) I'm pretty sold on Goodyear Silent Armor tires. The look good to me and they seem to be some of the quietest highway tires going.I'm definitely open to hearing about other tires which run fairly quiet on the highway, so please weigh in if you have an opinion.
Q: Will they rub at stock height (no lift)?

2. Wheels
I'm strongly considering getting 17" wheels, but only after I do the above.
Q: I should have no issues swapping the 31" tires to the new 17" wheels, right?

3. Lift
I think I'll do a 2" suspension lift, again after I run with the 31" tires with no lift first; I'd like to see how they look/perform at stock height to get a good baseline comparison. I can only go but what I've read and seen in pics in these forums (and on the street), but I think 2" suspension lift is plenty for 31" tires that will be city/highway only. I'd appreciate hearing any dissent or agreement on this point, as I'm just taking mildly educated guesses on this.
Q: There are a lot of lift kit options, and I have no idea about one from the next. I'd really appreciate hearing about the various options (I assume cost, quality and ease of install are the variables?)

4. Lights:
I've already ordered the truck lite 7" round heated headlight (http://www.4wheelparts.com/Lighting-...pn=POI27275CK1), so i'll replace out the stock one's this week. (let me know if I've made a mistake here!), now I'm looking to replace the stock fog lights (both of which broke off the bumper, in nyc parking nonsense), as well as add a set of aux lights to the MBRP grill guard/light bar (http://www.extremeterrain.com/mbrp-f...tj-131086.html) which I just installed to the stock bumper.
Q: I really have no Idea which aux lights and or fog lights I should install. I could use some advice on these.

5. Hardtop:
Lastly, I'd like to get a hardtop, but they seem hard to find and pretty expensive, especially for an LJ. any thoughts on this would be much appreciated. I'm looking to do everything reasonably possible to quiet the interior noise as much as I can (and Yes, I know, it's a jeep, so it's not going to ever ride like a benz).

6. Fenders:
Looking to replace the stock fenders with larger ones, likely rubicon. There seems to be a lot of different options out there for this, any recommendations on what is best, and are there multiple sizes for the same offerings (4", 6' etc?)

Thanks guys, amazing group of fellas here. I'm really impressed with how helpful and knowledgeable everyone seems to be. I always search the boards and do my reading, but the direct help and answers make all the difference.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts