Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Basically happy with my ported Polks and pods but I am still thinking about having a little more low end.

I read Gottagofast's treatment of the center console upgrade, but my TJ is an SE and had no sub at all. I'm wondering if I can just turn that plastic center console into a passable sub enclosure.

There's kinda a plastic box inside a plastic box and my concern is that it'll buzz and rattle.

It looks like I can cut a hole and install a $50 driver. I've got an unused 100w in the head that can be configured as either rear or sub so I'm thinking about just running speaker wires back to a dual voice coil 8" speaker (or whatever hole size will fit).

Then I can probably just make a grommet out of weather stripping and permanently close the console lid (giving up my junk drawer of course).

Anyone done this? Worth pursuing?

Thanks, confundido

·
Registered
9,000 Posts

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
First time seeing that thread. Awesome. I want to add a sub in mine but didnt want to do an under-the-seat install. The only thing in my center console is my winch controller.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
I plan to eventually replace my factory plastic box w mdf and fiberglass and probably step up the power to the sub.

I'll probably build a mold for the glass side tho instead of glassing over cardboard

I actually thought about molding from the inside of the console but it turns a 1 day project into a 1 week project... lol

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just put a $28 Planet Audio AC8D 8" sub into the center console. Sounds great. No MDX, just cut out the plastic. I was afraid it would sound all farty but it's fine. BTN (better than nothing) engineering at its finest.

I'll post more details shortly.

-- confundido

·
Registered
176 Posts
Im currently running these two.
https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-TS-SWX2502-Shallow-Mount-Pre-Loaded-Enclosure/dp/B00JQTU3QC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1548180368&sr=8-3&keywords=pioneer+low+profile+subwoofer

https://www.amazon.com/Watts-Mosfet-Monoblock-Amplifier-R1100M/dp/B004S4XNEO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1548180420&sr=8-3&keywords=boss+amp

Whole setup costs around $150

The speaker box is mounted at the drivers side rear window between the roll bars with a simple black rubber bungee cord around both bars (easily removable) and the amp is on the floor behind the rear seat. The speaker doesn't block the rear passengers view at all. Bass is enough to sound full and rich, and will slam when pushed but wont hit the low low stuff like a full sized box and more expensive sub will. Still it sounds 10000x better than just 4x6s and 6.5s. It sounds way better than an "all in one" sub/amp combo and doesnt take up much more space.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have a similar setup like FlyinHawaiian258 but, I went with the mtx box and sub. I fit mine right behind the back seat facing down so no one can see it when the top is off.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It 100% can be done. I did it with a shallow mount 10 inch Sub in the mid console without a sub box. I filled the console with poly fill and it sounds pretty damn good.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well after living with this for a while I'm not sure it was worth working on the sound system of a permanently "no doors" Jeep. Too much road noise for any kind of sound.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Well after living with this for a while I'm not sure it was worth working on the sound system of a permanently "no doors" Jeep. Too much road noise for any kind of sound.
You get what you pay for? I can crank mine up doorless/topless and have music bumping no problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts