Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I accidentally discovered thst my Jeep will start without the clutch engaged. In my experience I was always taught that you can't start a manual transmissiin vehicke without the clutch being in. Not sure if this is a bad thing. Please Help.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Check the fuse box in the glovebox, is there a fuse in a spot marked auto or trans? Because you can put a 20 amp fuse in there so you can start the jeep without the clutch depressed. It is a feature on the jeep for use in off road situations

·
Knows a couple things...
49,381 Posts
That is how vehicles used to be until the lawyers started their incessant frivolous lawsuits.

That the fuse has been inserted to bypass the clutch safety interlock switch is a good thing for 99% of us. The 1% it is not a good thing for would be those who would have to be held back from stepping in front of a loud oncoming train blowing its horn, or those who haven't yet mastered the "look both ways before crossing the street" principle yet.

The first thing I did back in 1996 when I got my brand-new '97 TJ home was to insert that fuse to bypass that clutch interlock switch. One of the best mods you can make, especially if you offroad much.

Only take that fuse out if you can't keep cousin Jethro with his IQ of 71 from occasionally driving your Jeep. ;)

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
Only take that fuse out if you can't keep cousin Jethro with his IQ of 71 from occasionally driving your Jeep. ;)
:rofl::rofl::rofl:...I remember when I was about 7 years old and my father had an old Chevy truck with a keyed on/off switch and a starter button switch next to the gas pedal on the floor. Not only did you not have to have the clutch pushed in, you didn't even have to have the ignition turned on to engage the starter. Sometimes he would come home from work and wonder how the truck was now parked three houses away :D

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lol thanks in all our ranch trucks the clutch had to be in :) Soory still very new to the Jeep world :/ Lots to learn still. Definitely thankful for this forum. It is an invaluable resource for newbs like me :)

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
:rofl::rofl::rofl:...I remember when I was about 7 years old and my father had an old Chevy truck with a keyed on/off switch and a starter button switch next to the gas pedal on the floor. Not only did you not have to have the clutch pushed in, you didn't even have to have the ignition turned on to engage the starter. Sometimes he would come home from work and wonder how the truck was now parked three houses away :D
Yeah, dad had an old chevy truck with the same setup. He told me to go out and start it one winter morning when I was about 12. I ran into the back of his Blazer. I learned a good lesson that day about starting a manual :rofl:

·
Registered
73 Posts
So this might be a dumb question...... I understand how awesome it would be to not have to press the clutch in to start it everyday, but in what kind of offload situation would this be helpful in .

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
So this might be a dumb question...... I understand how awesome it would be to not have to press the clutch in to start it everyday, but in what kind of offload situation would this be helpful in .
Using the starter and 4lo to crawl over something that you keep stalling on.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Imagine you're on a steep hill with a big, tall, scary cliff behind you. Put it in gear and with your foot on the brake and t-case in 4Lo, turn the key. You'll only go forwards. No chance of rollback like if you'd have to push the clutch then take your foot off the brake to hit the gas.

Also, lets say you're going through some mud or water and its getting kinda deep and you don't give it enough gas and you stall. Well instead of having to push the clutch in that is submerged and exposing it to water and/or mud, you can just put it in gear and crank it up while hitting the gas and you'll pull out of whatever you were in.

As you can see, it can be a clutch saver or even a life saver.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I got another one. Back when I was having fuel pump issues, it refused to start at the drive thru at the bank. I had to push it out of the way. I could have saved my self a little embarrassment if I'd had it set up to crank without the clutch being pushed in. I could have walked it out with the starter since I only had to go about 15 feet :rofl:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts