Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ugh, this could not have come at a worse time, I JUST spent 500 dollars to replace the muffler, tailpipe, and brakes :banghead:

But anyway, I went to a party. it had been the first time i drove the jeep since she left the shop, maybe 2 weeks ago. The trip there was fine, she turned over okay, seemed a little sluggish at first but after warming up it was fine, so I shrugged it off. But then when I got in the car to leave and tried starting it, it turned over, revved just past 1 rpm, then suddenly dropped down to almost 0, then revved up again, then went back down and it died. I tried again and it started right up. I couldn't help but think the worst, but maybe it's nothing, I've had random electrical problems before, for instance the engine not fully turning off after I turn off the key, it would continue to spin at what sounded like 0.1, 0.2 rpm maybe.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
.1RPM? 10 minutes for it to rotate 1 revolution? Or you mean 100.

Sounds like battery or cables problem to me.

As far as continuing to crank after releasing the key - low battery voltage can cause the starter solenoid to stick and not release - rare, but it can happen.

What happens when you jump start it from another vehicle?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry, maybe I was unclear.

After it died the first time, it started right up. I can walk outside for a tick and see if it does it again but I managed to start it up twice after it died without issue. Strange. You're probably right about the battery cables, I noticed there was some corrosion on them several months ago but never bothered fixing because, well, I'm poor.

·
Registered
4 Posts
How many miles? Highway miles or a lot of short trip mile?
My first thought on this is the IAC (idle air control valve).
A lot of short trip miles will carbon up these valves.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How many miles? Highway miles or a lot of short trip mile?
My first thought on this is the IAC (idle air control valve).
A lot of short trip miles will carbon up these valves.
Mostly highway. Probably 3/4 of the trip was highway, but even then it was only 5 miles on the highway, maybe, then I was there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was talking about total miles on the vehicle. I have replaced a few IAC's that were gummed up just because of high milage. Typical problem is car will start but will not stay running unless the trottle is depressed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts