Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
401 - 420 of 702 Posts

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Great Thread! Tons of information! It's crazy how that dust found its way in the steering column... Love the Pictures! I voted 5 stars! Keep Jeep'n!

See you around,
Jason

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #408 ·
Great Thread! Tons of information! It's crazy how that dust found its way in the steering column... Love the Pictures! I voted 5 stars! Keep Jeep'n!

See you around,
Jason
Thanks!

Yea, dust gets everywhere. Every interior panel I pull off always has a coat of red dirt on the inside.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Jeep looks insane man! I flipped over the axle builds, i did mine myself not to long ago but I couldn't find the patience to make the exteriors look as good as the gears.

Noticed the light bar, amazon light bars are clutch, i got a 52" one for my chevy for 50$ and its the same type smittybuilt and hella sell for 500$ all you have to do is put some gasket maker around it.

Was wondering if you just used undercoat or what kind of paint for your axles, and did you just machine sand the rust and stuff off the old ones or brush it with the crimped wire grinder or something?

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #410 ·
Jeep looks insane man! I flipped over the axle builds, i did mine myself not to long ago but I couldn't find the patience to make the exteriors look as good as the gears.

Noticed the light bar, amazon light bars are clutch, i got a 52" one for my chevy for 50$ and its the same type smittybuilt and hella sell for 500$ all you have to do is put some gasket maker around it.

Was wondering if you just used undercoat or what kind of paint for your axles, and did you just machine sand the rust and stuff off the old ones or brush it with the crimped wire grinder or something?
On the axles I took them down to bare metal with a flap wheel and a wire brush. Then I used self etching primer. After that dries I use Tractor and Implement paint that I found at Tractor Supply Co. It's very thick and has held up pretty well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Tweak - Awesome build brother. I've read through this entire thread and I have to say it turned out great. I have a fully paid for 08 JK 2DR out in the garage that I've worked on over the past few years and finally feel 1tons is the "final" step to finishing the project.

Overall, besides the "learning" mistakes, how much do you think setting up both axles and finishing the complete swap run you? And with Artec finally covering the basis with their kits and tone rings, I would think there's enough hardware support to make this swap a lot easier than what you had to burden.

I'm cleaning up my 14b rearend right now, luckily it's already setup for disk brakes, so I just really need to clean it up, replace seals and bearings and weld up the artec swap kit.

Do you have any clearance issues with the 14b and the gas tank at all? So many questions, so little time lol.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #412 ·
Hey Tweak - Awesome build brother. I've read through this entire thread and I have to say it turned out great. I have a fully paid for 08 JK 2DR out in the garage that I've worked on over the past few years and finally feel 1tons is the "final" step to finishing the project.

Overall, besides the "learning" mistakes, how much do you think setting up both axles and finishing the complete swap run you? And with Artec finally covering the basis with their kits and tone rings, I would think there's enough hardware support to make this swap a lot easier than what you had to burden.

I'm cleaning up my 14b rearend right now, luckily it's already setup for disk brakes, so I just really need to clean it up, replace seals and bearings and weld up the artec swap kit.

Do you have any clearance issues with the 14b and the gas tank at all? So many questions, so little time lol.
I probably spent $5000-$6000. Another thousand for tools and stuff.

Just a quick list off the top of my head-
$1200- front 60
$300- rear 14 bolt
$300- gears
$500- front arb
$450- rear arb
$80- part to fix broken rear arb
$300- tube for links
$1200- heims and bushings and brackets
$300- artec crossmember
$1000- front coilovers
$120- coilover mounts
$300- rear disc brakes
$200- drive slugs
$1000- front and rear driveshafts
$180- diff covers
$300- wheels
$100- kingpin rebuild kit
$100- misc new bearings
$200- on board air
$300- steering kit from ruffstuff
$400- hydro assist

Whoa there went $8830.

And then I had to buy a truck and trailer...

I didnt have any fuel tank clearance issues with the 14 bolt, but I can see that my pinion guard smacks the side of the gas tank skid every now and then.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #415 ·
Welp, I am in california now!

Made it in 3 days. The truck did great. I maintained 75-80 the whole way except for up steep grades where I would drop down to 3rd gear and 55 mph.

Look very closely at the horizon in this one, those are wind generators, thousands of them. Somewhere southeast of Barstow.

I passed this buggy in Bakersfield, it's got a build thread on pirate. Chassis is made out of stainless and the drivetrain is hydraulic.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I pick up the 40's on the 28th. Went and found some trails today, it was an old dried up river. You can tell at one point it had a lot of water. A lot of people lost their waterfront properties. Nothing but sand for miles now. And yes, that's a 57 chevy. lol http://s1288.photobucket.com/user/Trey_McHattie/media/2016-02-21 15.17.49_zpsm1ywafpa.jpg.html http://s1288.photobucket.com/user/Trey_McHattie/media/2016-02-21 15.21.53_zpsnucyityu.jpg.html http://s1288.photobucket.com/user/Trey_McHattie/media/2016-02-21 15.21.41_zpsdeyc8noq.jpg.html http://s1288.photobucket.com/user/Trey_McHattie/media/2016-02-21 16.26.45_zpspav1zs2t.jpg.html
Not to steal the thunder from you jeep, bc it is awesome, but does that truck still run?

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #419 ·
Not to steal the thunder from you jeep, bc it is awesome, but does that truck still run?
Oh heck yea, he wheeled it all day and then passed me at 80 on the highway on the way home!

It's on a 77 K5 frame, stock K5 axles, smallblock 350. Did pretty well for having terrible approach angles.

401 - 420 of 702 Posts