Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Replacing my soft top and wondering if the twill is worth almost double the cost of sailcloth. Biggest difference is the Twill comes with a Lifetime Limited warranty. Basically if anything screws up they replace it free. Thoughts??

·
Registered
816 Posts
Bestop or Quadratop?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Knows a couple things...
49,381 Posts
I'd install a twill top onto my BMW which came with twill. Twill for my TJ that regularly goes offroad too? Nope, I consider twill to be more easily damaged and too expensive to use it in an environment where it's more likely to be damaged. I have a nice 3-corner tear in my Sailcloth top from offroading in Death Valley 2 years ago which while it wasn't pleasant to experience didn't bother me nearly as much as it would have if it had been the more expensive twill fabric.

It happened a few minutes before this photo was taken on the Isham Canyon run in Panamint Valley. I patched it afterwards... just glad it wasn't the more expensive twill fabric. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
682 Posts
Replacing my soft top and wondering if the twill is worth almost double the cost of sailcloth. Biggest difference is the Twill comes with a Lifetime Limited warranty. Basically if anything screws up they replace it free. Thoughts??
I'm looking at the same thing for the spring myself and consider this; Sailcloth will be easier to keep clean if you off road all the time, but Twill will looks better and nicer if you only stay on the pavement (like me). I'm going with the Twill myself. What Jerry said above should be a big consideration too!

·
Registered
682 Posts
I'd install a twill top onto my BMW which came with twill. Twill for my TJ that regularly goes offroad too? Nope, I consider twill to be more easily damaged and too expensive to use it in an environment where it's more likely to be damaged. I have a nice 3-corner tear in my Sailcloth top from offroading in Death Valley 2 years ago which while it wasn't pleasant to experience didn't bother me nearly as much as it would have if it had been the more expensive twill fabric.

It happened a few minutes before this photo was taken on the Isham Canyon run in Panamint Valley. I patched it afterwards... just glad it wasn't the more expensive twill fabric. :)
Jerry, how good is the 30mil, Quadratec Master Top in twill or should I spend the extra and get the Bestop in twill?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
By the way... the Bestop is currently $1,049 with Wranglerforum discount it drops $50. Called Bestop and they quoted me $1,099!

·
Knows a couple things...
49,381 Posts
Jerry, how good is the 30mil, Quadratec Master Top in twill or should I spend the extra and get the Bestop in twill?
I'm no fan of QT's store-branded products, who knows who actually made them, A look-alike doesn't mean it's made by or has the same quality of the manufacturer's product it resembles. Ask Rolex about that. :)

·
Registered
816 Posts
I bought the Qusdratop sail cloth when I first got my Jeep no issues with it. Decided to try something different and tried a rampage last may. Returned it twice in 3 months for a replacement. Last replacement I sold new in box. Currently without a softop until spring. Plan to go back to the Quadratop in the spring.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tray Burge

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
My jk has the twill. My tj has the sailcloth. The twill is so thick and heavy and it’s hard to stow over the tailgate. Doesn’t fold up and disappear like the sailcloth. The sailcloth is light and easy to fold up and get it out of the way. I’m liking the sailcloth much better. Keeping warm in winter is no problem, not a lot of heavy snow here to cause problems. Sound levels a bit of difference but not bad.

·
Registered
682 Posts
My jk has the twill. My tj has the sailcloth. The twill is so thick and heavy and it’s hard to stow over the tailgate. Doesn’t fold up and disappear like the sailcloth. The sailcloth is light and easy to fold up and get it out of the way. I’m liking the sailcloth much better. Keeping warm in winter is no problem, not a lot of heavy snow here to cause problems. Sound levels a bit of difference but not bad.
So, I'm liking the fact you say it's really thick, I only take my doors off in the spring and summer so that's not an issue with me. Is yours the Mastertop or the Bestop?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Bestop.

Reactions: Tray Burge

·
Full Size Jeep Dr.
3,431 Posts
Bestop. I have one, and it's great. It's thicker material, but at the same time, softer. Goes up and down a little easier. The windows at thicker plastic, and you get a little more insulation out of it. On top of that, you get the Bestop quality.

The only downside...no twill upper doors for the TJ. You'll need to look elsewhere for those, if you need them.

·
Super Moderator
2,725 Posts
Is Twill better? Sure, but Sailcloth is really not that bad.

Seems not that long ago when sail cloth first came out and everyone talked about how much quieter it was than the standard top. Crap, 2001 was 19 years ago now. :beerme:

·
Full Size Jeep Dr.
3,431 Posts
Depends on what you're looking for. I like the twill a little better.

·
Premium Member
8,329 Posts
Interesting - for sailcloth tops, the Bestop Trektop NX is more expensive than the fabric only Replace-A-Top (RAT). In Twill, the Trektop NX is $50 less than the RAT.

The Trektop NX has some advantages. If your Jeep doesn't currently have the Sunrider feature, the Trektop NX does. If you frame is starting to show some real wear and issues (mine was), the Trektop NX is frameless. If you don't like the way the top folds down onto the tailgate and then blocks the view out the back, when you remove the rear windows in a Trektop NX, nothing back there to block your view. The kit comes with all new header and TG bars and door surrounds. Plus, you gain the Sunrider feature.

·
Sponsoring Vendor
2,524 Posts
I highly recommend the Bestop Twill products. The fabric is thicker and is quieter as a result. They also do have that lifetime warranty on it as well!

Here is a link to our Soft top advisor to walk you through options that will work for your Jeep!

https://www.quadratec.com/jeep-wrangler-soft-top-advisor

I currently have the Bestop Trektop NX Glide in Twill on my 2 door JK and it is super nice!

We offer a forum discount for forum members if you would like a quote for a top or have any questions please do not hesitate to send me a PM and I would be happy to help!

Have a great day!
Hailey

·
Registered
24 Posts
Twill

I have had both. I had sailcloth on a 2008 JK and have twill on my 2016 JKU. I have the premium top which is an option. It is a night and day difference. After having both I will always have twill. It is much quieter and warmer. My opinion is the fold down about the same height. It is heavier but I take my top down in the spring and don’t put it back up, unless it rains, until October. I don’t off road but if I did I would fold down the top. I run a sunscreen over the top that I can leave on top off or down and only use on long highway trips.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts