Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Day 2: While I was driving in a heavy rainstorm, water leaked through the cowl vent into the dash and shorted the inverter. So it goes!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Day 2: While I was driving in a heavy rainstorm, water leaked through the cowl vent into the dash and shorted the inverter. So it goes!
Is this a common thing?

What can be done to prevent it?

I'm starting on a YJ project and looking to prevent if possible things like this.

Thanks!

:)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is this a common thing?

What can be done to prevent it?

I'm starting on a YJ project and looking to prevent if possible things like this.

Thanks!

:)

Yeah it's pretty common unfortunately! From what I've read, the problem usually lies with the seal under the windshield frame (bad gasket or windshield frame itself rusting out) or a clogged drain tube in the cowl vent. You can see the drain tube on the firewall when looking from the front of the jeep. Snapchat-8677245464733714368.jpg I didn't pull it off so I'm not sure how it's attached, but they say you need to pull the tube off and clean it out because it gets clogged with dirt and other waste from the rats and causes water to back up and enter the cab through the vent holes. The vents are on either side of the cowl opening and open directly to the inside of the jeep. The picture is an example of one of the two vents on either side. View attachment 2796537 I took the pic from inside the dash and you can see that there's a huge opening that lets water, wind, snow, whatever to get right inside when the valves aren't closed.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Yeah it's pretty common unfortunately! From what I've read, the problem usually lies with the seal under the windshield frame (bad gasket or windshield frame itself rusting out) or a clogged drain tube in the cowl vent. You can see the drain tube on the firewall when looking from the front of the jeep. View attachment 2796577 I didn't pull it off so I'm not sure how it's attached, but they say you need to pull the tube off and clean it out because it gets clogged with dirt and other waste from the rats and causes water to back up and enter the cab through the vent holes. The vents are on either side of the cowl opening and open directly to the inside of the jeep. The picture is an example of one of the two vents on either side. View attachment 2796537 I took the pic from inside the dash and you can see that there's a huge opening that lets water, wind, snow, whatever to get right inside when the valves aren't closed.
I have found a leak issue and the drain tube is drain gin water so I am good there.

I am now looking at having to replace the seal under the windshield frame as well as resealing the windshield itself.

Don't see any signs of rust around the window, just a bad seal and a poor attempt by a PO to caulk it up.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had my windshield replaced by a shop and they didn't seat it all the way in the frame. There's a gap between the rubber around the edge of the glass and the windshield frame that I'm sure salt and grit likes to nestle into :atomic: . I'd replace the gasket that run the length of the windshield frame as you said and go from there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts