Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, just so that we are clear, this is a rant. You have been warned.

So I attempted to replace my transfer case with a rebuilt one I found on Ebay earlier today. This was the first time I tried anything this big. Honestly, it did not look that bad. After consulting with the Service Manual and online writeups, I was able to remove the skid plate, both drive shafts, the spedometer gear, shifter linkeage, vent hose, and drain the fluids. I then place my floor jack under the TC and proceed to remove the six bolts attaching it to the transmission. The the two on the driver side and the two on the bottom were not too bad, but the last two... I am so PO'd. There was no way to get a wrench in there. The exhaust piping was in the way, space was really tight, plus by this time it was getting dark, and to top it all off, my wife was getting mad at me for taking too long.

Needless to say, those last two bolts are going to cost me $200 in proffessional mechanic time. Funny, it didn't take me near as long to put everything back together again. I really feel like a failure as a wrench jockey.
:mad::(

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Did you try lowering the jack some so the TC sags a bit to get at the top bolts? That's how I have done every tranny/TC R&R I have ever done. Gain a good bit of room that way...Oh and you usually have to drop the exhaust to get the case out anyway so I start with that then the rest.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you try lowering the jack some so the TC sags a bit to get at the top bolts? That's how I have done every tranny/TC R&R I have ever done. Gain a good bit of room that way...Oh and you usually have to drop the exhaust to get the case out anyway so I start with that then the rest.
Yeah, I tried that but you are right, I should have just yanked the exhaust. My biggest problem is time. I only had a day to this. Given the amount of time I spend working, I have a wife and daughter that get very jealous of how I spend my free time. Seriously, sometimes I wish I had a free week to do stuff like this and not feel guilty about it.

I like to think that I at least learned a few things about taking my Jeep apart during this whole excercise. Alas, that wonderful feeling of accomplishment when you complete a Jeep project eluded me this time. :doh:

·
Knows a couple things...
49,409 Posts
I've gotten those top two bolts out several times with nothing more than a bunch of extensions between a 1/2" ratchet drive and an E-10 torx bolt adapter.

·
Founder, ThumbJeeps
4,062 Posts
don't let it bother you... I've been wrenching for years and still asked a couple friends for help to drop the transfer case and trans out of our 99' ranger. Some things are just to much sometimes without the right tools and/or the right amount of light or hands, etc... Experienced or not, that is not a little job.

·
Hardcore Jeeper
3,320 Posts
don't let it bother you... I've been wrenching for years and still asked a couple friends for help to drop the transfer case and trans out of our 99' ranger. Some things are just to much sometimes without the right tools and/or the right amount of light or hands, etc... Experienced or not, that is not a little job.
Ever use 6' worth of 1/2" drive extentions just to reach a bolt... that was fun... Its all about having the right tools, the right number of people, and if you know someones whos done it before: priceless...

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the encouragement, guys. I feel like taking something else apart.

I have to say, I have nothing but respect for all you guys who can take on home-mechanic jobs like this (or more complicated) with nothing more than sheer will, extreme patience, and a mind for being resourceful. Cheers to you!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts