Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1989 Wrangler YJ
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought this Jeep that’s been sitting for 5 years or so and have been working on it heavily for 6 or more months. I was hoping to finally drive it today but after replacing the brand new fuel pump yesterday evening, this brand new pump is doing the same thing! After running for 5-10 minutes or so, it starts squirting fuel from the weep hole! It’s got a Webber carb with a fuel regulator, but that’s been on there for years with the previous owner. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
4,518 Posts
So I bought this Jeep that’s been sitting for 5 years or so and have been working on it heavily for 6 or more months. I was hoping to finally drive it today but after replacing the brand new fuel pump yesterday evening, this brand new pump is doing the same thing! After running for 5-10 minutes or so, it starts squirting fuel from the weep hole! It’s got a Webber carb with a fuel regulator, but that’s been on there for years with the previous owner. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Where did you get the pumps from, Autozone is famous for their lifetime warranty, because they don't have to do the work to replace faulty pumps out of the box. I'd try Napa, might be a few bucks more but they usually have a little better part. Sometimes they are all made by the same company and boxed with a different label. That's the price we pay for having 30 year old toys.

·
Super Moderator
13,576 Posts
Your original equipment fuel filter had one large inlet and two outlets. The center, or larger of the outlets goes to the carb. The smaller outlet goes to the fuel overflow line and on to the gas tank. Since you have a Weber carb with a regulator, your PO may have removed the original fuel filter and your pump is overpressureizing itself (thus the weephole leak). Just thinking out loud, I don't know for sure if that's the case without an original fuel filter. If you have, or decide to add an OE style fuel filter, the overflow opening goes to 12 o'clock.

Good Luck, L.M.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts