Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Commercial Member
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I'm trying to work it so that the "family vacation" this year is during Spring Break (17-26 March) and down in the Phoenix area. My goal is to get some desert Jeep'n in, but the wife and friends and family down there and it appears that there is just enough kids stuff to make this pass for a bonafide spring break trip for the family.

I know I want to do Box Canyon. I really want to tray and do some photography of the Jeep in the canyon. Would this actually possible, or is it to crowded/narrow to have time to mess with doing a "photo shoot"?

Besides Box Canyon, what other trails would you recommend if you only had two days to hit the trails? We've got a 2012 JKUR with 4" lift, 35s, skid plates, bumpers, winch, etc. If you are familiar with the Trail Damage site, we routinely do trails rated 4-6 and have done a couple of 7s (but with having to drive the Jeep back home, 7s might stretching it a bit).

Thanks.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Box Canyon, Back Way to Crown King, and Broken Arrow are all great. Here is the catch though: If you will be coming down during the same spring break time as ASU and the local high-schools, you will likely deal with heavy crowds on the trails. Its the best time of year for trail riding, and most Arizonans with Jeeps and trucks flood the trails in the springtime, especially during spring break. Now, on Broken Arrow and Back Way to Crown King, there will more than likely be room for some photography, and some amazing photo opportunities to boot, but Box Canyon is narrow in places (too narrow for 2 way traffic) and stopping in those areas for a "photo shoot" would be poor trail etiquette. Something else to consider (especially in box canyon) is that many people rip through the canyon at the speed of light in their side-by-sides and motorbikes. Because of that, be mindful to not stop on a blind corner to help keep accidents away. All else aside, the trails mentioned are super fun to run, and very scenic, I'm positive you'll have a blast.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I would also consider adding Ajax Mine trail, and Elvis to the day you are running box canyon, as they are all fun, and all within a couple miles of each other. Also, you should consider the Table Mesa area, where you can run Crapshoot, Upper Terminator and Lower Terminator all in one day, and they too are all within a few miles of each other. Broken Arrow is fun and all, but I'd pass unless you are making a whole day out of Sedona, in which case you should add Soldiers Pass and Greasy Spoon to the list, and Outlaw trail (I believe its called) has Indian dwellings and paintings in the rocks etc. if you hike off the trail and to the various spots. The Sedona trails are also all within about 20 minutes of each other or so.

·
Commercial Member
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info guys, I'll do some research on the local school districts and see when their spring breaks are. I'll do research on hitting box canyon at sunrise/sunset in the middle of the week if I need to. I'd never block a trail to shoot, as you say, bad trail etiquette.

We would be driving right past Sedona, so I might have to look into that.

·
Commercial Member
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It looks like our timing might be just about right. ASU goes on break two weeks earlier and only about a half dozen school districts (mostly elementary schools) appear to have the same week as us. Most are the week before and a few the week after.

Both of you mentioned Back road to Crown King. Looking on azoffroading.com, it looks like this is a full day trail. So is it worth it to spend one full day out of the two I would have to go Jeep'n on this one trail?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Honestly, if all you have is 2 days, I'd skip Back way to Crown King. I'd spend one day running the Box Canyon area, and if you can fit them in, Elvis and maybe Ajax mine (more cool photo ops at Ajax, and they are all within a few miles of each other). I'd spend the second day either in the Table Mesa area (Crapshoot, Upper/Lower Terminator etc.) or in the Sedona area (Broken Arrow, Soldiers Pass, Greasy Spoon etc.). Sedona would be a tad more scenic but the trails are far easier (even though the books say some are difficult, they really, really aren't). Table Mesa would be somewhat less scenic, but the trails are quite fun, and the obstacles offer lines ranging from mild to absolutely insane/buggies only (pick whichever suits your tastes) and bypasses are available for almost every obstacle. Seeing as how you guys have GOTG and the red rocks open space back in CS, you might be over the whole red rocks ordeal, and in my opinion, I like GOTG more than Sedona either way (went to boarding school in Sedona, walked my dog daily at GOTG while attending UCCS). If by some miracle, you can stretch it to a third day by moving 2 hours north, then I'd do Box Canyon area, Table Mesa area, and then the sedona area. On the flipside, if you can pull it off, it is all of a 3 hour detour off the highway on the way home to make it to Broken Arrow, run the trail, and then be back on the highway, or keep going straight and joining back up with the highway further north as a "scenic detour".

·
Commercial Member
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the help man. We do have our own red rocks around here, but they are different down there. I think the family would like the trails in the Sedona area. I might be able to get them to stay there for two days, one day on the trails and one day sightseeing/shopping. Then on to Phoenix to do the family thing with two days of trails at the end. I've already offered up a rental car if the wife and girls don't want to do two days of Jeep'n. LOL

·
Registered
119 Posts
No problem! The CS jeeping community treated me like family when I was living out there, the least I can do is help a CS guy with his jeeping trip back here in AZ. Speaking of which, if you do end up making it out here, I'd be more than happy to guide you around the trails and run them with you. Depending on the dates, some of the guys in my jeep group may also be interested in making the trail runs as well.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I live in AZ and I would like to go play too. I'm running a stock '15 JKUR. I've done the following: back way to crown king multiple times, hassayampa river past Wickenburg multiple times, tip top mine a few times, table mesa road east a few times, and old senator highway from Prescott to CK, then CK to phx the back way. Have your people get with my people

·
Commercial Member
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I live in AZ and I would like to go play too. I'm running a stock '15 JKUR. I've done the following: back way to crown king multiple times, hassayampa river past Wickenburg multiple times, tip top mine a few times, table mesa road east a few times, and old senator highway from Prescott to CK, then CK to phx the back way. Have your people get with my people
Wait, I've got people? lol

·
Commercial Member
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, as you guys probably figured with the lack of posts from me in this thread, we'll not be making it down for Spring Break. The wife had other vacation plans for us this year :(

I still want to come Jeep'n down there though, so I'm looking at just me and my little guy coming down in the fall sometime. Anything I should know or look out for about a fall trip down there?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Make sure you come after monsoon season has past! Other than that, there isn't much to worry about. The scenery on the trails will be breathtaking, and the weather should be phenomenal.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts