Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanna take two JKs out for a camping trip and hang two parachute hammocks between them. The idea is to hang them in between the back end of two Jeeps, with one end of each hammock hung off the back rollbar cage.

We experimented with this last season using one Jeep, one hammock, and one tree. It seemed to be fine although I worried about the weight in the rear.

We want to add a hammock, a Jeep, and skip the tree. Does anyone see an issue with doing this? It'll be about 500lbs total for two adults with one stock JKS and one stock JKR10A. Any advice or tips are appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Personally, I don't see an issue with that.

In fact, I think if you organize the Jeeps in the right way, you could add two more off each B-Pillar of the roll bar...

·
Registered
2,227 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Personally I don't think it would be a problem...but keep in mind the stresses involved CAN be pretty significant due to the geometry involved. I hike the AT, and sleep in a camping hammock vs. a tent most of the time, so I've done some research on this..and have even had a tree fall over due to stresses....(it was hollow/dead)...

This will help to let you estimate actual stresses involved:

https://theultimatehang.com/hammock-hang-calculator/

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Personally, I don't see an issue with that.

In fact, I think if you organize the Jeeps in the right way, you could add two more off each B-Pillar of the roll bar...

I don't see an issue either... Have fun. I've seen two(2) adults in Jammocks as well.

Thanks for chiming in and for the great pictures! I've been thinking it *should* be fine, but I'm also pretty ignorant about how much of this particular type of stress load would put on the pillars and the shocks/springs. Which relates to what @Legobusier shares below...

Personally I don't think it would be a problem...but keep in mind the stresses involved CAN be pretty significant due to the geometry involved. I hike the AT, and sleep in a camping hammock vs. a tent most of the time, so I've done some research on this..and have even had a tree fall over due to stresses....(it was hollow/dead)...

This will help to let you estimate actual stresses involved:

https://theultimatehang.com/hammock-hang-calculator/

Thanks for this link! I've downloaded the app just now and it looks helpful. The only info I'm missing is what the cage can sustain, right? I feel like I need a Jeep engineer or metal expert to give me the details on that!

I'll research this a bit more so that I can feel confident that we aren't inadvertently trashing the Jeeps. Hard to sleep well otherwise.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Thanks for chiming in and for the great pictures! I've been thinking it *should* be fine, but I'm also pretty ignorant about how much of this particular type of stress load would put on the pillars and the shocks/springs. Which relates to what @Legobusier shares below...

Thanks for this link! I've downloaded the app just now and it looks helpful. The only info I'm missing is what the cage can sustain, right? I feel like I need a Jeep engineer or metal expert to give me the details on that!

I'll research this a bit more so that I can feel confident that we aren't inadvertently trashing the Jeeps. Hard to sleep well otherwise.

Yeah..good luck finding that info. Again, these things ARE designed to take some pretty good loads, so I don't think it would be a problem.

My daughters friends like to tie hammocks between their luggage racks in the high school parking lot..now THAT seems like a really bad idea!! ;)

2017 JKUWW - Granite Crystal, 24W, Auto, Premium Top, Alpine, LED Lights, Teraflex Leveling Kit, Ace Rock Sliders

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah..good luck finding that info. Again, these things ARE designed to take some pretty good loads, so I don't think it would be a problem.

My daughters friends like to tie hammocks between their luggage racks in the high school parking lot..now THAT seems like a really bad idea!! ;)

2017 JKUWW - Granite Crystal, 24W, Auto, Premium Top, Alpine, LED Lights, Teraflex Leveling Kit, Ace Rock Sliders

Haha yeah that does seem like a bad idea. It's probably way cool for them though.

I'm probably being overly paranoid. I'm still pretty new-ish to Jeeps. It makes sense to me that it should be fine given the safety purpose of the pillars. I just don't want to mess up something serious being a noob!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts