Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is listed as the equipment in my jeep. Is this an open diff? Is it normal to have trac loc in rear only (no mention for front axle)

• Command-Trac Part Time 4WD System
  • Dana 30/186MM Front Axle
  • 3.07 Rear Axle Ratio
  • Dana M35/194MM Rear Axle
  • Trac-Lok Differential Rear Axle

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
This is listed as the equipment in my jeep. Is this an open diff? Is it normal to have trac loc in rear only (no mention for front axle)

• Command-Trac Part Time 4WD System
  • Dana 30/186MM Front Axle
  • 3.07 Rear Axle Ratio
  • Dana M35/194MM Rear Axle
  • Trac-Lok Differential Rear Axle
You have a dana 35 rear axle with limited slip and 3.07 gears. You have a dana 30 open front axle.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Was the front limited slip an option for that year (2001 TJ Sport). The option list from the website referencing the VIN number does not mention trac lok for the front.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am first time owner of a 2003 TJ. Same spec as yours. 130k miles and rebuilding rear TracLoc soon in rear carrier as it left me in a ditch.
I am still learnin about open differential in front. When in snow with traction in 4low 2 wheels pull. When in ditch only one pulls. This makes me think it has a worn out TruLoc in front. Anyone have thoughts on my open front differ tial why it behaves like this? I will raise wheels off ground and due the spin test this week to see if it might have True Loc in front.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Was the front limited slip an option for that year (2001 TJ Sport). The option list from the website referencing the VIN number does not mention trac lok for the front.
To my knowledge, TJ's never came equipped with a front limited slip.

The only exception to that is the Rubicon models - when the lockers are not engaged I believe the diffs act like helical type LSDs.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
I am first time owner of a 2003 TJ. Same spec as yours. 130k miles and rebuilding rear TracLoc soon in rear carrier as it left me in a ditch.
I am still learnin about open differential in front. When in snow with traction in 4low 2 wheels pull. When in ditch only one pulls. This makes me think it has a worn out TruLoc in front. Anyone have thoughts on my open front differ tial why it behaves like this? I will raise wheels off ground and due the spin test this week to see if it might have True Loc in front.
It is an open dif in the front. Open difs provide the same traction to both wheels that is required to turn the wheel with the least traction. So if one wheel is in the air, there is the same force (as it takes to keep the one in the air turning) being applied to the opposite one.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Good information Water Dog. I will rebuild rear carrier then put it to the test before I decide to invest in front carrier. Thanks going to replace fender fares now and now spend time doing the spin test.

·
Super Moderator
2,725 Posts
There was never a factory LSD for the front axle in a TJ.

To my knowledge, TJ's never came equipped with a front limited slip.

The only exception to that is the Rubicon models - when the lockers are not engaged I believe the diffs act like helical type LSDs.
Even on the Rubicon, only the rear diff is LSD.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts