Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 Jeep wrangler unlimited Sahara that has the REQ radio. I want to connect the U connect, after doing a search on the board and reading the information that I could find that addresses the connection especially that posted by xsdbs. I think that I will need mopar accessory kit PN 82212159 & PN 82212160 if I am leaving anything out I would appreciate a post letting me know what I need to go along with the other parts for installation. I will have the dealer do the install, I want to be sure I have all the parts before I make an appointment.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Yep, those are the 2 parts you need. Depending in how comfortable you feel, you could install it yourself and then have them activate it to save some labor costs.

·
Commercial Member
2,013 Posts
@ caninecop,
You are correct about the 2 kit PN's that you listed. However there are a couple of things that you should know. The 2010 radio itself will have a couple of unsupported features.
1) The 2010 and earlier did not have the HW that would allow it to support Bluetooth streaming audio from the phone. However with the use of the optional USB / iPod cable, you will be able to play media files thru an iPod, iPhone or a thumb drive.
2) Most current phones don't allow the phone to be used as a mass storage device (like a thumb drive), they use the USB connection for an MTP which is not a supported Media file for Uconnect (as well as many other automotive brands). So they will not be able to play media files by using the USB connection. If you have any newer phone other than an iPhone, you will want to buy a thumb drive and put media files onto it.
3) You will be able to place calls by name of the people that are in your phonebook (contact list) or by digit dialing. Caller ids will appear on the radio display for incoming callers that are in the phonebook.
4) If your phone supports the MAP profile and is a GSM phone (ATT or tMobile) then you should be able to rec and send SMS text messages. The sending of text messages thru many car kits are limited to the 20 generic prerecorded messages. Some CDMA phones (Sprint & Verizon) will rec messages and give a notification of the new incoming message. However Uconnect will say from "unknown number" even if the person is in your phonebook. The reason for this is that for some reason the phones or the network are not sending a (+1) within the body of the phone number for text messages but do for phone calls. On the phone, you will see the senders id but not on Uconnect (and some other automotive brands). This is because the car kits are looking for the +1 in the number body but the phone does not.

Well I hope this helps with any questions that you may have.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@ caninecop,
You are correct about the 2 kit PN's that you listed. However there are a couple of things that you should know. The 2010 radio itself will have a couple of unsupported features.
1) The 2010 and earlier did not have the HW that would allow it to support Bluetooth streaming audio from the phone. However with the use of the optional USB / iPod cable, you will be able to play media files thru an iPod, iPhone or a thumb drive.
2) Most current phones don't allow the phone to be used as a mass storage device (like a thumb drive), they use the USB connection for an MTP which is not a supported Media file for Uconnect (as well as many other automotive brands). So they will not be able to play media files by using the USB connection. If you have any newer phone other than an iPhone, you will want to buy a thumb drive and put media files onto it.
3) You will be able to place calls by name of the people that are in your phonebook (contact list) or by digit dialing. Caller ids will appear on the radio display for incoming callers that are in the phonebook.
4) If your phone supports the MAP profile and is a GSM phone (ATT or tMobile) then you should be able to rec and send SMS text messages. The sending of text messages thru many car kits are limited to the 20 generic prerecorded messages. Some CDMA phones (Sprint & Verizon) will rec messages and give a notification of the new incoming message. However Uconnect will say from "unknown number" even if the person is in your phonebook. The reason for this is that for some reason the phones or the network are not sending a (+1) within the body of the phone number for text messages but do for phone calls. On the phone, you will see the senders id but not on Uconnect (and some other automotive brands). This is because the car kits are looking for the +1 in the number body but the phone does not.

Well I hope this helps with any questions that you may have.
Thanks for all the information, the primary purpose of connecting the U connect, is for hands free cell phone use no texting. I will print your information so if I upgrade to a phone that will allow the Bluetooth streaming audio I will have the information on hand. I really appreciate the reply.

·
Commercial Member
2,013 Posts
You're welcome and I'm glad that I could help you out.

Thanks for all the information, the primary purpose of connecting the U connect, is for hands free cell phone use no texting. I will print your information so if I upgrade to a phone that will allow the Bluetooth streaming audio I will have the information on hand. I really appreciate the reply.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts