Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 03 TJ Rubicon and am doing more and more trail runs with it. The more I learn the more I realize I need. I would like to get a couple of U-Joints to carry with me for when one breaks. Are they all the same, are some easier to deal with on the trail. Essentially out of the tons out there which one should I order.

Any other parts that are practical to carry with me on the trails?

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
I suggest only using spicer u-joints. Buy a couple 5-760x for the front axles and whatever size for the rear driveshaft. An even better option is to upgrade to chromoly shafts then carry the spare units pre assembled with your old unit bearings. Makes replacement easy on the trail.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,616 Posts
Yep Spicer 5-760x u-joints for your Ten front axle shafts.

Your Rubicon driveshaft u-joints vary by where they are located and by model year, so be sure to only look in the section for your 2003.

Also, I strongly suggest you only go for the sealed u-joints in the right-most column which are stronger and more durable... not to mention they don't require regular greasing like the versions in the left column.

Attachments

·
Knows a couple things...
49,616 Posts
So what other ones would I need besides 1330X and 5-760x?
Take a closer look at that chart posted above, it lists the exact u-joints your front and rear driveshafts use. Each u-joint position is shown at the bottom of that chart.

·
Registered
56 Posts
So what other ones would I need besides 1330X and 5-760x?
If you're lucky enough to be playing deep in God's country, you'd probably want to have a 5-793X and a 5-795X in the parts box, as well.

Thanks for posting that chart, JB... I got here searching for u-jts for my LJR. Seems odd they'd list the shaft# when they still have it broke down between Rubicon and Rubicon Unlimited. Makes it seem like there could be a different shaft on those models.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts