Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. So I just replaced all 5 u joints in the rear and front drive shaft of my 02 TJ. I replaced them primarily out of maintenance. I have about 200K on it so I thought I would replace them all since I already had suspect I was having issues with my rear u joint. And now I am hearing a noise that I was not hearing before. Almost a tick tick tick like noise that gets faster as I accelerate and slows down or goes away as I come to a stop or slow down.

I am guessing I have messed one of them up on install......guessing there is not some type of break in period.....

I did get under the jeep and all bolts are tight. Everything seems to be where it shoud be. I am able to slightly, I mean slightly rotate the front drive shaft back and forth....I an not sure there was that play in it before I removed it. But now I am parinoid that it wasnt and some how something is not sitting right with the front drive shaft.

Anyway, any suggestions on what I should do first?

·
Registered
262 Posts
You'll see some rotational play in the shaft due to the lash in the differential gears. There should be no play in the ujoints themselves.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Which u-joints and CV centering yoke did you use (Brand/Part #s)?

It may also be helpful to disconnect the front driveshaft from the axle, strap it to the frame and go for a drive. This will narrow it down to being front or rear as the source.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I used Moog u joints part #269 I believe. I did replace the center yoke barring as well, but only the barring not the yoke as part. Its something with the CV. I am guessing I will just need to either replace each u joint in the CV one at a time and reconnect the shaft or since I am going to do 1 just do both.....
This is frustrating!!!!!!!!! Try to do some maintenance replacement and now I have a problem.....:censored::atomic::censored::atomic::censored::censored::censored::censored:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts