Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just changed my u joints on my 95 wrangler 4.0 ax 15 tranny..had 3 1/12 yokes. When I returned the Axle to the tranny and started with the straps on the rear that yoke seems to be bigger like 4 inch...what the problem here guys all help is needed.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I believe 95 has bigger ujoint, 1330 Spicer's? Up to has the 1310's

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
So the driveshaft bolted to to rear of the transfer case but it's too big for the rear yoke? Maybe their 2 different size u joints? I have a '92 and they are the same on both ends(1310). I would measure what you can, from the old to the new. I was looking for the chart showing dimensions of the different styles but can't remember where I saw it? Maybe somebody else has it handy..

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Really not sure. Do you have the old one? Have you measured where it sits on rear yoke and compared the front?

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
87-93 has the 1310 joints, 94-95 has 1330. It's possible you have a Frankenstein Jeep, though.

Or you're confusing the fitment. Both 1310 and 1330 u joints have the same cap diameter. The 1330 u joints are longer, they have a bigger cross.

So you could have a u joint that you THINK fits, but is actually too long. At the transfer case, I think the u joint needs to be pressed into the yoke. I know the axle pinion yoke uses the straps.

On the pressed yokes, you'll have a groove where a snap ring will go. On the strap yokes, you'll have a small bump on either side. If the u joint is too long, and sits on top of it, it will give the impression that the cap is too big, when it's the length.

Also make sure the caps are seated correct on the u joint, and the needle bearings are straight.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When I reinstalled fits on drive shaft perfectly, hooking it up to rear yoke at the differential it's too small I hooked up the straps with one cap resting where it should the other cap has about 1/2 inch space.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I knew I saw it somewhere!! Here are some figures to look at...

ForumRunner_20160312_204516.jpg

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Yeah there is .41 difference in width of caps after looking at that chart. Looks like you have 1310 and need the 1330.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
will the 1330 fit the driveshaft yoke too? the u joint I have fits it but the caps are too short for the straps on the yoke differential... sorry for all the questions just frustrating

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Nothing has changed but the u joints right? You have to have the wrong universal. I'd go get the 1330 Spicer u joint.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Yes, sounds like you have a 1310 u joint where a 1330 should go. If you have a little less than a half inch play between the little bump things, then you probably have the 1310 instead of the 1330. Even if it stays put, it's not the right size so it's not very safe.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Looks like 3.6" and 3.2“.

See here.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts