Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I decided to change my rusty old ujoints for new ones but as I was reading up on it some say to mark the yokes. Being me I didn't do this, is it a big deal? How screwed will I be ? Some say It won't affect anything really but others disagree.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
The ones on the ends don't matter, as they're not on there when it's balanced anyway. If it was well made, the other ones shouldn't matter either. If something was out of tolerance with the double cardan/centering assembly, it may have been balanced later with a weight on the outside of the shaft to compensate for the tolerance deviation. If you rotate some parts of the assembly when putting it back together, you may throw it out of balance and pick up some driveline vibration.

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
I've never marked mine. Many people change these things with a hammer... I've never seen them getting rotated make a difference

·
Registered
725 Posts
Partly what Im wondering, is if the trans shop rotated mine since they didnt mark 'em and I got vibes afterward. I might test that this weekend. Here is what the FSM says....

NOTE: Removing and re-indexing the propeller
shaft 180° relative to the yoke may eliminate some
vibrations.

So I would say if you get vibes, rotate it, if not, you prolly got it back on right lol.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
The marking of the driveshafts is for when you take them apart. If you rotate one side 180 degrees when doing so you can cause them to be out of phase. The yokes on the ends don't matter how they hook up to the diff or t-case.

You can see in this pic what I'm talking about.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts