Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a UCF skid plate and it will come unpainted. Powder coating isn't an option. What are you guys using to paint a steel skid plate?

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
good coat of primer then a few coats of spray paint, I like rustoleum. Ive had to touch the bottom up a few times so every once in a while hit it with some sand paper and spray a coat or two on if it gets scrapped

·
Registered
955 Posts
Your ideal paint would be something like por-15. That stuff is extremely though but the process of applying it is lengthy and expensive.
Unlike the previous poster, I dislike rustoleum. I've had too many issues with their coats chipping too easily. On my steering components, I've had good luck with dupicolor engine enamel from advance auto. It's held up the best out of anything I've tried. Obviously, anything that is going to be scrapping up against rocks will need touched up occasionally.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I hit both of mine with clean metal primer followed by Duplicolor Chrysler Brilliant Black Pearl spray paint. They look great now. We'll see how they last.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I was trying to figure out what to use on my TJ restoration and finally settled on this. The KBS and rustbullet seem to get pretty good reviews as well. I saw too many bad reviews from POR 15 to sway me away from it. A lot of people say its from not doing proper prep work but even people that used their whole process had adhesion problems and rust coming back through. If you research it you'll find that they took out most of the aluminum that gave it it's oxygen sealing properties whenever they changed it to black in color back in the day, it used to be silver too.

Mastercoat® Chassis Paints, Rust Paints & Chemical Resistant Floor Coatings

1 - 6 of 6 Posts