Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I went out and bought me a 2014 JKU Sahara last Saturday. I traded in my trusty ole 2006 Jeep Wrangler. I decided to splurge a bit on the sound system and upgraded to the 430N RHB. The description of it said it had a 6.5 inch hi-res display screen. I have to totally disagree with that statement. The display looks absolutely horrible, like something out of a 1980's computer game. The pixels are so clear I can just about count them. Also, the themes in the Garmin software are ridiculous. All of the themes on my unit are basically yellow on yellow- light banana yellow background with dark yellow roads. Who in this world thought that would be a good combination, especially down South where we have lots of sunshine??!

So, to my fellow 430N Jeepers, is this common across the board for JKU 430N owners, or do I possibly have a jacked up radio/nav?

Any ideas on how to fix this, if possible?

Model: RHB14
Software version: 4.18
GPS: 4.15.03
Maps: 2013?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Have you watched a movie with it so that you can actually see the resolution? You're not using the buttons and map rendering as your resolution barometer, are you? Have you looked at pics or artwork on it?

·
Registered
10,277 Posts
have you watched a movie with it so that you can actually see the resolution? You're not using the buttons and map rendering as your resolution barometer, are you? Have you looked at pics or artwork on it?
+1

·
Registered
661 Posts
While the display may have a higher physical resolution than the software and maps that are being run on it, there still is an issue imho. They are sold as a pair, whats the use of buying a 1080p TV that only can play video from a built-in VHS tape in 480i. You can claim the unit is high res, but since all it does is run software and maps, then it might as well be low res imho. I have the same complaint about mine. The resolution of the Garmin software and maps is atrocious. I could not even read "mi" where it told me miles to destination, because it was too grainy. My wife had to tell me what it was saying there because she was used to the Garmin nav software(I had never used it before). I really don't understand why Jeep would put in such a low res version of the software, unless the unit lacks the processor speed to run more appropriate resolutions(I am betting this is exactly why they did it). If thats the case, then spend the extra quarter on a better processor so the software can be run at a proper resolution.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you watched a movie with it so that you can actually see the resolution? You're not using the buttons and map rendering as your resolution barometer, are you? Have you looked at pics or artwork on it?
I did put a movie in and watch part of it. The resolution is much better as you said. But, I just don't understand why the resolution on the buttons, etc. are so poor. The system obviously has the capability to display the other screens in a higher resolution.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I did put a movie in and watch part of it. The resolution is much better as you said. But, I just don't understand why the resolution on the buttons, etc. are so poor. The system obviously has the capability to display the other screens in a higher resolution.
It might be that it is using the same bitmaps for the button on the high resolution screen that it uses on the low resolution screen and just magnifies them so that they won't be too small. That will make the images look blocky.

·
Registered
226 Posts
The 430N is not by any means hi-res. You can actually see the pixels when looking at the screen like a screen door effect. You cant change it as its a hardware limitation. These are old radios that chrysler used in many vehicles for years. Later on they moved on to the new gen uconnect radios but for some reason they continued to use them in the wranglers until 2018. Maybe to use up the left over stock? Who knows. Good news is they do have a lot of functionality and you can update the maps on them for free with a little technical skill. Bad news is they are dated.

·
Registered
10,277 Posts
At least they have a touch screen. BMW (and its MINI) didn't even introduce touch screens to their NAV systems until around 2018, instead trying to hang onto their old-fashion mouse/wheel control on the console.

·
Registered
67 Posts
At least they have a touch screen. BMW (and its MINI) didn't even introduce touch screens to their NAV systems until around 2018, instead trying to hang onto their old-fashion mouse/wheel control on the console.
My wife had a 335d with that type of user interface. She had also had previous vehicles with touch screen interfaces and I've driven both types of systems quite a bit. In my opinion, the BMW system was better than any of the touch screens that I have experienced from an ergonomic / usability standpoint. The rotary control on the BMW was right where your hand would lie when your arm was on the armrest, therefore you have better control of it, even on bumpy roads. She had an Acura at one time that had a touch screen and to do anything, you had to select multiple menu options and you had to take your eyes off the road to do it. This is a bad design as far as I'm concerned since it requires the driver to take his eyes off the road to see where he needs to press on the screen. Even something as basic as changing the fan speed on the air-conditioner required you to go through various menus. These types of things should be separate buttons or rotary controls on the dash that you can operate just by muscle memory and remembering where they are located on the dash so you don't need to look at the dash to do it. The BMW had separate controls for the things like that and the iDrive system was for less important things like navigation and some radio functions. The basic radio functions like volume and such still had a separate knob to control. The iDrive worked well on bumpy roads since you could move the cursor partway, take your hand off of the control, and when you reached a smooth spot, move it some more. Any system that requires you to routinely take your eyes off the road to operate it has no business being used by the driver. Drive OR play with your electronic toys, don't try doing both at the same time. :(

Actually, the BMW system was not a "mouse/wheel" control (at least on her BMW), it was more 8 position joystick where it clicked in each of the position. On top of the joystick was a rotary wheel that allowed you to scroll left or right for certain choices and you also had the capability to push down on the entire unit to basically do a "click". It worked pretty well and you didn't end up accidentally clicking on something else by mistake very often.

Interestingly, when you loaded a CD into the system and it stored it on the entertainment system's hard drive, it did a mild "encryption" of the files. You could backup the music files to an external USB thumb drive, but it would leave the "encryption" on the files. They were trying to do some sort of digital rights protection with that, I guess. As it turned out though, the "encrypted" files were just XORed with 0xFF (IIRC) on a byte level, so it was easy to write a 'C' program to "decrypt" the files. It's been a few years since I wrote that code and can't find it right now, but from the best of my recollection, it was 0xFF...

·
Registered
427 Posts
I think the resolution is the same as it was when the JK came out in mid 2006.

There are many things that auto manufacturers could improve - but don't. There are reasons, but it's annoying.

Check engine light? Really? We still have these? Just tell me what the issue is. Jesus, every human in the US older than 10 has a phone on them that's light years more advanced than car systems. We can handle it.

Radios are the same way.

Could be worse. Get in any GM car from the 2000s. HUGE buttons and monochrome displays...

·
Registered
67 Posts
I think the resolution is the same as it was when the JK came out in mid 2006.

There are many things that auto manufacturers could improve - but don't. There are reasons, but it's annoying.

Check engine light? Really? We still have these? Just tell me what the issue is. Jesus, every human in the US older than 10 has a phone on them that's light years more advanced than car systems. We can handle it.

Radios are the same way.
In some locales, your car will fail inspection if the check engine light is on, even if the thing that it is indicating is not even required to be checked. For example, my RAM 1500 had a check engine light on for a problem that I diagnosed to be the brake fluid level sensor. I come from a time when we didn't even have those things on our cars and it was just something that you checked every time you were also checking your oil level. Which, back then, was probably at every gas fill-up... The sensor was not a replaceable part, but was instead molded into the brake reservoir, so the entire unit had to be replaced. If the sensor could have been replaced, it would have been maybe $10 and I would have done it, but replacing the whole reservoir would be over $100 if I did it myself and probably a bit messy. I determined what resistance the sensor was *supposed* to be sending back and stuck a resistor across the lines coming to it instead (after unplugging it). Check engine light goes off and I can get my truck inspected.

A lot of people who drive cars really have no business operating any piece of machinery more complex than a pencil eraser. Giving them a simple idiot light that basically says "something is wrong" is all they can handle (and many can't even handle *that*). My wife backed into a mailbox once despite the backup sensor on her Porsche Cayenne beeping at her faster and faster as she approached it, trying to warn her that she was getting too close to something. Unfortunately, that is not the only thing she has backed into over the years. :( It seemed to take me *forever* to get her to check her gas gauge to see if she was getting low. She just expected me to always keep it refueled, even though I never drove her car.

They say, "you can't fix STUPID"... Actually, you *can*, but our legal system frowns upon it... :(

·
Registered
427 Posts
That's terrible with the brake fluid sensor.

NJ only does emissions testing every 2 years for inspection. The check engine light is part of that. No mechanical inspection anymore. Just don't pollute.

New cars don't require any inspection for the first 5 years. After that, every two.

95 and older don't require any inspection anymore. It's swell. I have my YJ and a 95 F-150.

The "more complex than a pencil eraser" line cracked me up.

·
Registered
67 Posts
At least it was an easy fix... It's not like it had some sort of advanced sensor in it that was communicating the the vehicle's computer by way of the CANBUS... I'm not a particular fan of the CANBUS, but mainly because they do not document it. Considering how much we pay for vehicles these days, if they insist on using the CANBUS for things that don't really need it, they should at least give us full documentation of the messages that the various subsystems send or expect to receive. This "magic happens" and your air-conditioner fan speed increases (or not) is unacceptable.

·
Registered
914 Posts

NJ only does emissions testing every 2 years for inspection. The check engine light is part of that. No mechanical inspection anymore. Just don't pollute.

New cars don't require any inspection for the first 5 years. After that, every two.

95 and older don't require any inspection anymore. It's swell. I have my YJ and a 95 F-150.

The "more complex than a pencil eraser" line cracked me up.
Pretty much the same system here in CT. I use HP Tuners and simply turn all the emission sensors off on my vette before inspection. I have the battery disconnected over the winter and you have to X amount of miles driven before the system emission system is READY! If it not ready it's an automatic fail until you drive those miles. So I just turn off that and it shows everything is clear. When I get home I just turn them back on again. My vette is supercharged and don't feel like screwing around with emissions every other year. I should add I do my own tuning and wouldn't recommend doing this unless you really understand what you're doing.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
The manual says to use images of 240 X 158 pixels for custom screen images. The screen is about 6 inches wide. The custom image fills up a little over half the screen.

So, without breaking out the calculator, it looks like the screen resolution is roughly 420x220 pixels. (0.092 Megapixles). Divide the screen width by 420 and you've got 70 pixels per inch. That's not high resolution by any modern standard. (Current phones and tablets display over 300 Pixels per inch).

But still.. I don't find the low resolution that bad. I listen to the radio more than I look at it. Plus, added custom images look pretty good (The kids like this one).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts