Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

UConnect 8.4 Update Error 20

6247 Views 27 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  oldhead
Not sure if anyone else out there got bit, but my 2018 JLUR 8.4 head unit is now a paper weight due to the OTA update that was pushed. Got about 15 minutes into the update, then bam... update error 20. Had to pull the fuse out because the unit just sits there in a loop trying to roll back to the previous version, which in never does. Don’t need this thing draining the battery like it’s done to others when they get this error. In what little research I’ve done it looks like I’m pretty much screwed since I’m out of warrant. To pile on insult to injury, there’s no way to opt out of updates so even if I get this unit replaced, it can happen again. Going to give the dealership a call on Tuesday to see what can be done. @JeepCares don’t know if there’s anything that can be done on your side.

Pretty ironic since I’ve made comments in the past about UConnect and its quirks and issues never really bothering me, that is until now…
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
UPDATE:

I wouldn’t recommend what I did to troubleshoot and try to get this thing to come back to life, but I did want to share what finally worked. So that being said DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!!! In the end what I did was prepare a USB drive with the most recent update. Then I pulled the fuse (F97) that controls the head unit. Plugged in the USB stick and started the Jeep. With it running, I plugged the fuse back in (yes I know the risk I took in possibly letting the magic smoke out and frying all kinds of things). The head unit then tried to update, but this time it looked like it failed off the stick and not OTA. It rebooted back into a useable radio, said it failed the update with Error 20 and to contact my dealer. This error however was a pop up, clicked ok and my radio was working again on the original version.

2 hours later, the head unit again asked to install the update via OTA. I made sure I had a clear sky above me and let it attempt the update. 40 minutes later, update installed fine and i verified that the new version is now installed And everything is working fine.

It‘s easy for me to just chalk this up to “it’s a jeep thing”, but it’s not. This is a UConnect problem and they need to provide a way to disable updates OR own up to problems like this and make things right for those that have had to spend in some cases over a grand out of pocket to get it resolved. I got lucky… this time…

Reactions: marcod13

· Registered
3 Posts
UPDATE:

I wouldn’t recommend what I did to troubleshoot and try to get this thing to come back to life, but I did want to share what finally worked. So that being said DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!!! In the end what I did was prepare a USB drive with the most recent update. Then I pulled the fuse (F97) that controls the head unit. Plugged in the USB stick and started the Jeep. With it running, I plugged the fuse back in (yes I know the risk I took in possibly letting the magic smoke out and frying all kinds of things). The head unit then tried to update, but this time it looked like it failed off the stick and not OTA. It rebooted back into a useable radio, said it failed the update with Error 20 and to contact my dealer. This error however was a pop up, clicked ok and my radio was working again on the original version.

2 hours later, the head unit again asked to install the update via OTA. I made sure I had a clear sky above me and let it attempt the update. 40 minutes later, update installed fine and i verified that the new version is now installed And everything is working fine.

It‘s easy for me to just chalk this up to “it’s a jeep thing”, but it’s not. This is a UConnect problem and they need to provide a way to disable updates OR own up to problems like this and make things right for those that have had to spend in some cases over a grand out of pocket to get it resolved. I got lucky… this time…

There's a thread over a JLwrangler forums with a ton of people with bricked 8.4 UConnect from this latest update, including myself. Bricked 8.4NAV "Update Failed, Error Code: 20"

How did you get the update file? When I go to driveuconnect.com/software-update and enter my VIN, the page just stays there where it was except without the option to enter VIN anymore. No download links, nothing.

· Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There's a thread over a JLwrangler forums with a ton of people with bricked 8.4 UConnect from this latest update, including myself. Bricked 8.4NAV "Update Failed, Error Code: 20"

How did you get the update file? When I go to driveuconnect.com/software-update and enter my VIN, the page just stays there where it was except without the option to enter VIN anymore. No download links, nothing.
I was able to download it using Chrome on a Windows machine. Which for me felt a little dirty since I’m a Mac guy. I never could get a functioning USB stick that was recognized by UConnect, so I’m wondering if just the simple fact that by having it plugged in during the radio start up caused it to react just a little bit different when it’s on the white screen that says “An error has occured. Contact UConnect with the error code below. Your system will revert to its previous version.“

· Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Add the pic of the last fail showing the error 20, but from a functioning radio and not the basic white or black update screen.

Product Motor vehicle Automotive design Grey Audio equipment

· Registered
3 Posts
I was able to download it using Chrome on a Windows machine. Which for me felt a little dirty since I’m a Mac guy. I never could get a functioning USB stick that was recognized by UConnect, so I’m wondering if just the simple fact that by having it plugged in during the radio start up caused it to react just a little bit different when it’s on the white screen that says “An error has occured. Contact UConnect with the error code below. Your system will revert to its previous version.“
Which USB did you put it in inside the Jeep?

· Registered
73 Posts
I had this just happen to me... the day I picked up my JL... lol!!! Definitely not “a Jeep thing”. Luckily warranty is there for this stuff, the 8.4 unit on mine threw a bunch of codes when the tech scanned it and they are replacing my entire unit. 1.5 weeks for order and delivery due to chip shortages. So I’m rocking it without a radio or anything for the next week and a bit. Let’s throw it back to 1941 boys!!!! On a side note, I am happy to see that you rectified your issue out of warranty. This is something that can definitely be prevented if users could simply skip updates and opt out of future ones.

· Registered
3 Posts
I had this just happen to me... the day I picked up my JL... lol!!! Definitely not “a Jeep thing”. Luckily warranty is there for this stuff, the 8.4 unit on mine threw a bunch of codes when the tech scanned it and they are replacing my entire unit. 1.5 weeks for order and delivery due to chip shortages. So I’m rocking it without a radio or anything for the next week and a bit. Let’s throw it back to 1941 boys!!!! On a side note, I am happy to see that you rectified your issue out of warranty. This is something that can definitely be prevented if users could simply skip updates and opt out of future ones.

I got my 2018 from the lot, drove it home, in my driveway the update came up, 30min later, bricked. Luckily I had like 12 days left on warranty. Radio supposed to arrive June 15

· Registered
32 Posts
Stupid question. Do you need to leave the car running or just on (in accessory mode with radio on but the engine off)?

Also, has any one successfully applied the update? I got promoted for it the other day but was working and didn’t have time to pursue it.

· Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Stupid question. Do you need to leave the car running or just on (in accessory mode with radio on but the engine off)?

Also, has any one successfully applied the update? I got promoted for it the other day but was working and didn’t have time to pursue it.
When mine successfully installed I clicked install now, shut everything off, got out, shut the door and watched it update through the window. I was afraid to even touch the jeep lol.

· Registered
73 Posts
I got my 2018 from the lot, drove it home, in my driveway the update came up, 30min later, bricked. Luckily I had like 12 days left on warranty. Radio supposed to arrive June 15
Yup that was me. Mine is up in February. Happy to hear they took care of it. This definitely is worrisome going forward. U connect needs to address this.

· Registered
73 Posts
When mine successfully installed I clicked install now, shut everything off, got out, shut the door and watched it update through the window. I was afraid to even touch the jeep lol.
Yeah when mine attempted and began reverting to the old update I was like “okay, not going to touch anything at all” haha, but then it didn’t do squat and bricked lol.

· Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not a Jeep thing, Ram 1500 bricked u don’t connect w/error code 20. Someone not testing software before rolling it out...
Most of the information I found on the issue when researching was on Ram and Charger forums.

· WF approved Offical Jeep Account.
1,700 Posts
Good afternoon everyone,

I came across this thread and am terribly sorry to hear about the concerns you've been experiencing since your Uconnect system had a software update. If any of you are working with your dealers to get this addressed and would like additional support, please do not hesitate to send us a private message so we can start getting that arranged for you!

Thanks in advance,

Courtney
Jeep Cares

· Registered
32 Posts
Just wanted to let folks know that my update got completed, successfully, the other night. My radio basically got to the point where the screen was forcing me to enter a time for the update to occur (could only select a time - not a date), nothing else on the radio would work until I entered a time. Anyway, sorry to hear that this isn’t working for some of you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

· Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just wanted to let folks know that my update got completed, successfully, the other night. My radio basically got to the point where the screen was forcing me to enter a time for the update to occur (could only select a time - not a date), nothing else on the radio would work until I entered a time. Anyway, sorry to hear that this isn’t working for some of you.

Glad to hear yours updated without issue.

· Registered
986 Posts
My update came one morning while my 2018 JLUR was in the garage! My Taser Lite was still plugged in. The update updated, my radio didn’t work at first, but after a sleep cycle or two it roared back to life and it appears to have updated fine and everything seems to be working great, for now. The, for now, IS a Jeep thing, especially with these JL’s which have no consistency in how they’re built or how the parts they install respond. All over the map, which isn’t a good omen for the future I suppose.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts