Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here i was all set after buying my 04 to put it on 33's.. Lift picket out, AEV pintlers, new bumpers, etc

Looking for someone, anyone, to talk me
In (or out) of going to 35's

This is my DD about 30 mins one way, no highways, to work.

Has anyone made the switch and regretted it or did you fall in love like I think I may have? Lol

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
It's not the switch you need to worry about... its the amount of $$$ and upgrades needs to 'properly' run 35's. That being said... ANYONE can drop a 4" lift and a 1.25" bodylift and run 35's.... how long it will last is the question.

Steering, brakes, gears and axles are just key areas that need attention when running 35's. Do a little research and find out more about what it REALLY takes to run 35's that just won't take you to the mall and back. (kinda funny, but true)

All I am saying is.... if you take the step and decide 35's... be prepared....educated....and ready to drop some coin...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Either way I have done my research and will only do it properly. I just need to figure out If the difference is worth the $$$

·
Full Size Jeep Dr.
3,431 Posts
That mainly depends on what you want to do with it. I bought a 99 with 35's, a 4" lift, 1" body lift and that was about it. I'll be swapping to 33's before I do any kind of hard wheeling on it, but I've got other things to address first.

Control arms, sye, cv rear shaft are just the start of it. And that's to run 33's. Adressing the axles is something else. You have plenty of options there. Super 35 and Super 30 kits, Ford 8.8 for the rear, Dana 44's, C-clip eliminators for the rear, etc.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Either way I have done my research and will only do it properly. I just need to figure out If the difference is worth the $$$
Do you wheel where 35's make a difference? Then yes, it's worth it. How do you expect us to answer that? If all you like is the looks of 35's better (who doesn't) then go for it. But at a minimum, take care of the brakes. If you want a durable rig off the road, will be wheeling where 35's are needed, and will be driving it on the road then plan on about $10k. Gears, lockers, SYE, quality suspension parts, belly skid, body armor, brakes, steering. A well-rounded rig isn't cheap to build.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Imped said:
Do you wheel where 35's make a difference? Then yes, it's worth it. How do you expect us to answer that? If all you like is the looks of 35's better (who doesn't) then go for it. But at a minimum, take care of the brakes. If you want a durable rig off the road, will be wheeling where 35's are needed, and will be driving it on the road then plan on about $10k. Gears, lockers, SYE, quality suspension parts, belly skid, body armor, brakes, steering. A well-rounded rig isn't cheap to build.
Precisely stated.

·
Motorized toy collector
3,763 Posts
Remember, it's still 90% driver out there on the trails. I have seen TJ's on 35's stuck in ruts, rocks, and roots, then a guy with a mildly lifted Cherokee on 31's walk right by.

I went a lot of places with a basically stock TJ with a small lift and 33's. I had my moments of floundering on the steeper trails when they were slick, and the deeper snow runs.

I spent a ton of money moving from 33's to 35's. All the stuff mentioned above plus more. Axle swap, lockers, gears, brakes, SYE, tummy tuck, outboarded shocks, etc. etc.

Was it worth it?

For me, Heck Yeah!:punk:

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
You also have to use your own judgement, from what I see listed would pertain to 33s as well and where you wheel vs tire size

·
Registered
367 Posts
I would be very interested in other peoples comments on the PERFORMANCE differences between 33s and 35s also.

There seem to be 100s of posts regarding what you need to DO to get tires that big on your TJ... brakes... steering... yadda yadda .. its all been mentioned many many times.

Actual info regarding the capability differences between the two tires seems much scarcer though. There aren't many posts to the effect of "when I only had 33s, ***** obstacle was not possible for me to do, but 35s made it possible" or "I tried crossing **** river which is **** deep and on 33s, I got stuck. However the next year when i had my 35s, I was able to fjord it without incident" etc.

I would love to hear if anyone else has any useful insights along those lines.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I would be very interested in other peoples comments on the PERFORMANCE differences between 33s and 35s also.

There seem to be 100s of posts regarding what you need to DO to get tires that big on your TJ... brakes... steering... yadda yadda .. its all been mentioned many many times.

Actual info regarding the capability differences between the two tires seems much scarcer though. There aren't many posts to the effect of "when I only had 33s, ***** obstacle was not possible for me to do, but 35s made it possible" or "I tried crossing **** river which is **** deep and on 33s, I got stuck. However the next year when i had my 35s, I was able to fjord it without incident" etc.

I would love to hear if anyone else has any useful insights along those lines.
ok so basicly i think all the extra things you have to do in order to run 35s also make your jeep more capable off road like LOCKERS. so i dont think theres much difference in the tire since your only getin an inch of clearance out of them yea they "make the holes smaller and the rocks". but when u lock the front or rear ull see more of these "well i didnt make it b4 but now i got my 35s and im locked and geard lower so i made it". i guess the tires have less differene that the compenants ull be upgrading IMO

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Very true. But if your diffs and/or belly are hung up on boulders, it doesn't matter how many tires you're turning.
That's where the driver mod comes into the mix. :thumb: Of course there are also trails you need big tires AND lockers.
I did the same trails on my last jeep with open diffs and 33 KM2s as with my current jeep with lockers and 31" street "ATs" (geolanders). On gold mountain I got stuck on some big rocks with my last jeep, with that wonderful 0 wheel drive, for maybe 45 min before we turned around. On my rubicon we got to the same place, but it was badly washed out and 2x bigger than before, but we drove over it like it was a cobble stone road!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts