Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,238 Posts
OP - if you are going in the winter, I would definitely take the Southern route over the Northern. You are talking about two days, quite possibly three. Weather forecast is pretty accurate over land, but over water it can change quickly. Then the change moves inland. It's not a big issue in warm weather, but in winter it can create havoc on long distance travel.

·
Super Moderator
13,957 Posts
Personally, I would rent one of their moving vans and tow your Jeep out with it. I wouldn't trust the Jeeps brakes on some of the mountain passes you'll have to navigate if you haven't upgraded to a big brake kit. I don't care what the manual says the factory Jeep is capable of. It might cost more, but at least you know that you'll be able to come to a stop if needed.
THIS^^^. With either trailer, you're going to be close to or over your Wrangler's weight limit. I wouldn't even try to pull either trailer with a Wrangler. For that distance it would be a triple no.

A U-Haul box truck and a tow dolly. It might cost more but you'll be safer.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Premium Member
2,643 Posts
Hindsight being 20/20, box truck and trailer or drive both.

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
What is uhaul charging to rent the 5x8?

I would look into buying a 5x8 for the trip and sell it when you get to your destination.
You may be surprised on the value of buying/selling vs renting.

Also the uhaul trailers are heavy. They are built to be abused by renters.
A personal 5x8 could save you a couple hundred pounds.

·
Premium Member
'01 TJ Sport, '13 JKR, '17 JKUR
476 Posts
Personally, I would rent one of their moving vans and tow your Jeep out with it. I wouldn't trust the Jeeps brakes on some of the mountain passes you'll have to navigate if you haven't upgraded to a big brake kit. I don't care what the manual says the factory Jeep is capable of. It might cost more, but at least you know that you'll be able to come to a stop if needed.
As someone who has moved from MA to CA (going through CO) with a u-haul truck, I do not recommend this. Their trucks brakes are not always great. I also think towing your Jeep with one of them would be even scarier. Do you trust your life with U-haul checking their trucks brakes and maintaining them properly??

Going through CO with one of their 20 foot trucks is the scariest things I've ever done. And that includes marrying someone with teenage step kids. I will never do it again. The truck rental, not the step kids. Most of the drive besides the rockies isn't bad assuming you're taking the northern route, which I'm guessing you are if going to WI. I'd trust my JKU which I maintain myself any day over a u-haul, and you'd probably be smart to as well.

If it were me - I'd get the 5x8 trailer. It's 900 lbs empty and full would be 2700lbs if you even loaded it to the max, which you probably won't... That is way below the 3500 lb JKU towing limit. I regularly tow a full 4x8 trailer with my JKU and I barely feel it. IMO that is your safest bet. I don't think it will be too uncomfortable or sketchy. Even with the brakes on the 6x12, having that extra 800 lbs of starting weight would be rough. I have a pop up camper that is 2000 lbs dry that I tow sometimes. It also has brakes. I'd rather tow my 4x8 any day which doesn't have brakes. You'd be surprised what the difference of 800-1000 lbs of starting weight is on the JKU. You will feel it.

I will caveat this with -

a) consider a brake upgrade on your JKU before you go. I upgraded to this when I started towing more. it prevents the brakes from overheating. I did the upgrade myself, it took about 5 hours with no prior experience on brakes.
b) at a MINIMUM, get your brakes checked at a dealership or a very good shop for correct operation and make sure you have plenty of padding left. but I recommend upgrading them instead.
c) at a MINIMUM, check your rear diff fluid levels and quality. If it were me, I'd put brand new 75w-140 in the rear diff for the trip (the factory calls for this when towing).
d) at a MINIMUM make sure your JKU is not overloaded on payload capacity (i.e. what you've added to the jeep). I know my JKU has something like 800lbs of payload capacity. Not sure if you'll be traveling alone, or with others, but be careful what you put in the jeep as well.

Also @Main Line Willys made a good suggestion. Look at buying your own trailer and save the weight.

·
Premium Member
9,238 Posts
NEVER EVER PUT A JEEP ON A TOWING DOLLY. THAT IS A ROMPER ROOM NO NO!!.

You can destroy a transfer case that way. The shafts are turning even though the TC is in neutral and because of the angle, all the fluid is in one end. If the transfer case is in gear and the transmission in neutral you can grenade the transfer case. You either flat tow it or put it on a trailer. There is a procedure for flat towing and is it spelled out in your user manual. There are 14 steps to set up the vehicle and 13 to take it out of that mode.

The transfer case must be in neutral and flat. The transmission must be in First (manual) or Park (automatic) But the steps cycle them to make sure. Otherwise it is a very expensive repair bill - total replacement of transfer case may be the result.

Reactions: Lusus_Naturae

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
First the legal stuff - a 2016 four door with 3.73 gearing and up can tow 3500lb max/350lb tongue weight (legally). With 3.21 gears that drops to 2000lb/200lb tongue weight. Not sure what gears you have, but something to consider too - you are traveling across quite a few state lines, through many counties, and many police jurisdictions. One may give you a pass, but another could even impound everything for over weight - forcing you a lot more expenses than if you planned better now.

"The GVWR is the total allowable weight of your vehicle. This includes driver, passengers, cargo and tongue weight. The total load must be limited so that you do not exceed the GVWR."

I'd take a long look at the available trailer options and packing options, but you may want to consider a third option - renting a U-Haul truck and car hauler - the full tow type for all four wheels off the ground - and tow the Jeep behind the moving truck instead. If you're moving soon - over winter - and southern to central Cali - I'd plan a route to drop south down through Illinois, down I55, to I44, to I40 and straight across to Cali then. It would avoid a lot of winter weather common in the middle plains during winter and it's decently flat for towing as well.

·
Registered
2016 JKUS - 6-spd, Track-Lok, Mild 2.0" Lift etc.
62 Posts
Have you priced an alternative. Last two times we moved we used Pods and it was awesome.

IF IT wasn't too pricey you could make the drive with just your Jeep and make an adventure out of it worry free.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Every time I've tried to book a 5x8, they never had one but always had 6x12's. If you don't overload the crap out of it, it'll be fine. Dual axles and brakes are nice, but the empty trailer is pretty heavy so you can't put much in there before topping your 3,500 pound limit. The empty weight is 2000 pounds so you only got 1,500 to play with.

·
Registered
7,398 Posts
So... question... does your JKU have a brake controller? There is no advantage to trailer brakes if you don't. It sounds like you will be close to 3500lbs with either one. That's not something you will enjoy pulling with 35's and a lift for that distance. But, if you stick to the big roads where you can do 55 and not get run off the road, you can manage. If you expect any winter conditions that changes the equation a lot...
They are surge brakes.
Surge brakes are completely independent and do not require any controller or special connection to the tow vehicle.

·
Registered
7,398 Posts
I hit it going at speed and felt the Jeep "hop" laterally a bit. Almost like bump steer. The traction control light flashed and I could hear the ABS activating briefly. By the time I checked the review mirror, everything had stabilized. I think it was the trailer sway control kicking in. I never felt out of control, but the Jeep was definitely reacting before things got out of hand.
It's my understanding that all jeeps come with electronic trailer sway control. That along with trailer brakes makes for a relatively safe situation. Of course, nothing can fix a driver who wants to do 70 or 80 with a trailer on the back.

·
Registered
8,757 Posts
It's my understanding that all jeeps come with electronic trailer sway control. That along with trailer brakes makes for a relatively safe situation. Of course, nothing can fix a driver who wants to do 70 or 80 with a trailer on the back.
I would do 90 with my GM Sierra 2500 and a 7500lb boat/trailer. Absolutely no issue and handled great. Also had airbags which helps. Jeep is just not made for much load. Had a good load 2 weeks ago and my rear suspension was hitting the bump stops on rough road. All the time I was thinking maybe I need to buy something else. The problem I keep coming up against is there really isn’t anything that will tow a good load and still off road in a reasonable way. Can’t really afford a full size PU, the Jeep, and my AMG. Would need to sell the AMG which I can’t comprehend right now. If I buy another boat I’ll have no choice. First world problems are so tough.

·
Premium Member
9,238 Posts
Boats tend to have a heavier than average tongue weight for the weight of the trailer, tow well and back well as a result of the relative longer distance between the coupler and the axle compared to the overall length. While I haven't measured them, from a visual standpoint U-Haul trailers and most box trailers have the axle at about 60% of the total length and boat trailers about 75%. They are also far easier to back effectively. A long trailer is relatively easy to back and a short trailer a real PITA.

The average boat trailer has far less wind resistance than a box trailer because the hydrodynamics of the boat give it good aerodynamics when on a trailer which it self has little wind resistance when empty.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts