Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a strange problem with my 2018 JK.

I live in Dubai and lately a lot of residential and public building have parking barriers controlled with an UHF entrance controller card.

Find here an example
https://youtu.be/r4X-bBuY-p8

It's impossible to access these barriers with my Jeep wrangler.

As soon as I am in 10 till 20 meters from the barrier the barrier picks up a signal from my car blocking every access card.
I thought I was the only one but after speaking with security of several locations I hear that it's a general problem with Jeep Wrangler and Ford Edge.

Today I did testing with a other Rubicon driver at my own residential building and both cars have exactly the same problem. The contractor of the parking barriers increased and decreased the sensativity of the barriers but it won't solve the problem.

-My car is totally stock.
-It's a sport model
-I have no UHF radio
-I am 95 procent sure I don't have the problem with the hard top mounted on my car.
- My access tags work fine while walking or driving in my Toyota Yaris.
- the local dealer didn't install any UFH stickers or tags in my car.

I'm out of ideas. Any advice?

Thank you

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The tag is a credit card size card not mounted to my Jeep. I use the same card to enter my building doors. Most other car owners don't even need to take there card from there wallet to enter the parking.

If my wrangler or a other wrangler comes within 10 meter from the barrier the barrier allready freezes.
If there 2 cars in front of my car nobody can enter the building.

It's not only my building but several buildings in my area.

The contractor of the parking gate system thinks that the tyre pressure is send by some NFC/RFID communication to the car. I checked with the dealer but they have no knowledge of this.

·
Registered
817 Posts
TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitors) have been common since '08-'09 on all makes of cars.
Different manufactures do use different frequencies for that system.
If it is the TPMS then it would be the same for any Jeep/Dodge/Chrysler vehicle.

Sounds like a neat entry control system, but has some bugs that needs to be worked out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After doing some testing today I am pretty sure there is a UHF chip in the hard top of the wrangler.

Now the question is what does it do and can we kill it.

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
After doing some testing today I am pretty sure there is a UHF chip in the hard top of the wrangler.

Now the question is what does it do and can we kill it.
In the top or applied to the top? Can you see it or only detect it with a RF scanner?

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Radio frequencies are highly regulated throughout the world. Can't have rouge signals screwing with communications of all types (military, emergency commercial, etc.). If jeeps are emitting UHF signals, it would have to be in compliance with all these laws in every country they are sold in. As mentioned any signal the Jeep is emitting would be very common and around for years on many different vehicles.

I know you are just trying to get in the garage, but the issue most likely is the with the company that makes these openers. Be interesting to find out if all the systems with issues around town are the same. For what ever reason, their system is being jammed which could cause more serious issues than an inconvenience. Suppose an ambulance was trying to get through in front of you? Even if you get your's to work, how about the next guy who buys a Jeep?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Today the company that makes the barrier used a scanner to check my hard top and it's indeed sending a signal around 800mhz. The signal is incripted but the company thinks very strongly that the topped has the vin number stored on a chip or sticker.

We scanned 2 jeeps parked withing the parking and for some reason mine transmits a stronger signal. Unfortunately the cars from owners that have the same problem where not available for testing.

We also scanned several other cars but none of them transmits a signal.

Tomorrow the company will bring me a stronger battery key chain chip to see if this one works.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Just a wild guess.. Does your vehicle have some sort of tracking system? (Like Fiat Chrysler's EVTS https://secure.moparevts.com/silver.html )

These tracking systems use the cellular phone network and 800 Mhz is a commonly used cellular phone frequency in many parts of the world.

I'd contact my dealer to see what they have to say.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Are we sure this is a JK?
Sounds maybe like a JL with the in-car WiFi which I believe may operate off of 800mhz.

Which 800mhz has always been a very busy band. Read This
I understand why they picked that band, same reason everyone else does, cheap parts.
Not a good selling point for their "State of the Art" system.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes it's a JK. They didn't deliver the JL in march 2018 in Dubai yet.

There is no tracking system.
I don't think there is anything wrong with the barrier system. I see them slot around Dubai from different manufacturers and it seems that they all have the same problem with the wrangler and the ford edge only.

The dealer

1 - 12 of 12 Posts