Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, Im talking jeeps with a guy at work and he tells me he runs some 16.5" inch military hummer tires on his 17' wheels .....wait ...What??? I ask?!?!?! He said yep they are a little tight but it works and can air down to 5lbs. and not roll the bead. Sadly I was not able to verify this but is this even possible or is this guy full of it??

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I just googled this, and read one of the best things I have read in a while. "Doing that is like playing Russian roulette with a Glock... 100 percent chance of bad sh** happening."

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Better than running 17" tires on 16.5" rims...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just googled this, and read one of the best things I have read in a while. "Doing that is like playing Russian roulette with a Glock... 100 percent chance of bad sh** happening."
That's what I thought too. I told him I didn't see good things coming from this but he said hes been doing it for years. I hope to see this guy again and get a pic of the craziness.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yeah i would definitely stay away from that... if you read anything on tires and even on the side of the tire i believe, it tell you to have the proper wheel for the tire... Like someone else said on another forum about this exact question.... it is like asking if you could use a socket with a 3/8" drive on a 1/2" ratchet.... doesnt work....

·
Registered
71 Posts
Lemme guess... he has a motorcycle with car tires on it, too. Right??? :whistling:

So, Im talking jeeps with a guy at work and he tells me he runs some 16.5" inch military hummer tires on his 17' wheels .....wait ...What??? I ask?!?!?! He said yep they are a little tight but it works and can air down to 5lbs. and not roll the bead. Sadly I was not able to verify this but is this even possible or is this guy full of it??

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I had 3 H1's and ran just about every kind of tire. You can't stretch those beads, they have a steel cable in them. What you can do is run a hummer dual beadlock split rim and have it recentered for a 5x5 bolt pattern (they are 8 bolt on 6.5"). That wheel will weigh 140# or so, run the runflat/beadlock and it can approach 160#. If you snap and post a pic it will be easy to see what's going on.

·
Registered
863 Posts
There are some shop that don't care & just want the money regardless. But that is dangerous. You ever try taking a low profile tire off a rim without it tearing. Hard to do!!! And I'm talking about real low profile! Even getting them on is a frak!

I would think that the tire would have tears along the bead! And the weight of the vehicle along with all impacts would just not help it!

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I have herd tell of this cheepo tire mounting. Fact: I ran a 16.5" military goodyear 36" on a steel 16" rim with beadlocks for years as a teenager without issues on my bronco. I had friends run them on the larger 17" wheel also. Neither of us experienced issues, however, Knowing what I know now, I would discourage this for safety reasons.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Lemme guess... he has a motorcycle with car tires on it, too. Right??? :whistling:
:nonono: Dont knock it till you try it

But 16.5in tires on a 17in rim thats just stupid

·
Registered
144 Posts
You would think that the bead would tear and fail during the install let alone wheeling on it.:whistling:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts