Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who else hates the angle your foot sits at when pressing the gas? There is no room under there and my foot is constantly turned towards the right . I feel it's contributing to my leg and back pain on that side. It's been happening since I got my jeep. Is there anyway to offset the pedals safely so your foot sits straight while driving? I know there is pedal extenders but that won't solve my issue. I hope they leave more room in the JL I feel this one little thing would make driving more comfortable on the legs. I also don't like using cruise control too often I like being on the gas.
I realize my title says angel when it should say angle :p it won't let me edit the title
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
When I went from my '14 Malibu to the Wrangler, I hated the position of the Jeep pedals. Now, when I drive the Malibu, I hate the position of those pedals.

For me, though, it wasn't the angle of the pedal, it was the distance between the accelerator and the brake that was uncomfortable. Seemed to take forever to get used to it, but now it feels perfect.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I went from my '14 Malibu to the Wrangler, I hated the position of the Jeep pedals. Now, when I drive the Malibu, I hate the position of those pedals.

For me, though, it wasn't the angle of the pedal, it was the distance between the accelerator and the brake that was uncomfortable. Seemed to take forever to get used to it, but now it feels perfect.

I'm coming up on 3 years with my jeep and 2.5 years of back and leg pain on my right side :p I just replaced my seats with corbeau suspension seats and it's more supportive but I still hate the foot angle

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I have a herniated lumbar disc and sciatic pain from that. I'll be honest. The driving position in the Jeep works really well for me. Obviously, I'm weird, lol.

·
Registered
23,965 Posts
Every now and then the angle gets to me. But most of the time, I end sliding my heel over so the foot is straight up and down again.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
I have three other vehicles that I drive besides the Jeep. I've never noticed any difference in the gas pedal position. (Perhaps because I do mostly highway driving and usually have the cruise on).

·
Registered
80 Posts
Every now and then the angle gets to me. But most of the time, I end sliding my heel over so the foot is straight up and down again.
If I'm not consciously positioning my legs/feet my knees really start to hurt. I have to make sure I'm paying attention to it to reduce the pain. Never had any trouble before, I guess it's just the driving position.

·
Super Moderator
6,794 Posts
If you have the height adjustable seats you might find that raising or lowering the seat helps.
I don't have an issue with the angle. I do have fairly large feet and I have a n issue with that, especially when I wear work boots. My foot ends up getting caught up on things in the pedal area. I find the pedal area cramped, but if I wear less bulky shoes it is not a problem.
Different strokes for different folks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Who else hates the angle your foot sits at when pressing the gas? There is no room under there and my foot is constantly turned towards the right . I feel it's contributing to my leg and back pain on that side. It's been happening since I got my jeep. Is there anyway to offset the pedals safely so your foot sits straight while driving? I know there is pedal extenders but that won't solve my issue. I hope they leave more room in the JL I feel this one little thing would make driving more comfortable on the legs. I also don't like using cruise control too often I like being on the gas.
I realize my title says angel when it should say angle :p it won't let me edit the title
Thanks!
Totally agree. It’s horrible. Enough that im thinking of selling my 2020 2Door Wrangler.

·
Registered
7,871 Posts
How about a hand throttle. I thought about that several times and I don’t have a foot placement issue.

·
Retired Moderator
100,650 Posts
Totally agree. It’s horrible. Enough that im thinking of selling my 2020 2Door Wrangler.
Welcome to the Forum, from Cave Creek AZ.

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
Thanks!
Well I’m 13 years in on the JKs and it’s not an issue for me. It’s actually quite comfortable for me.
The JL on the other hand has even less footwell room due to the bigger transmission hump for the 8 spd transmission.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
533 Posts
I’ve had CJ’s (still have one), TJ’s, a JK, and now a YJ.
The YJ is by far the worst.
The height of the gas pedal is so high I couldn’t rest my heel on the floorboard.
I ended-up cutting a 1” x 5” piece of wood and screwing it into the floorboard. It’s better, but still not great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Juno58

·
Registered
429 Posts
I've never found the angle to be a problem but like others have said it may be because I have big feet. I did come across this mod for the gas pedal spring that may help. I haven't done it myself but I do find the resistance of the pedal a little firmer than I would like sometimes. Mostly on the freeway I notice it.
Throttle Pedal Spring Mod

·
Registered
2016 JK w/ Snowplow & Trailer Hitch 7-Pin
326 Posts
I've done about 300,000 miles of driving in the past 40-odd years.

No pedal system is perfect for everyone!

The Jaguars had the pedals so tight, I had to wear narrow shoes to keep from pressing the brake and gas at the same time.
The Geo Storm GSI bake was too small. Both my son and I would slam the clutch when a panic stop was needed.
Just gotta get used to what the engineers and marketing folk decided what was 'right' at the time.

My solution for preventing gas pedal discomfort is Cruse Control.

·
Registered
7,871 Posts
I thought you were going to say curse control.

Reactions: Instructor9

·
Registered
146 Posts
I wear size 13 shoes and my foot rests fully on its outboard side while driving any vehicle. I use my big toe to operate the gas pedal. Taking off my shoes makes things a bit better, but this has always been the case for me. Pickups, sedans, my wife's subaru, etc. The JK is definitely more cramped than the others, but it is not uncomfortable. If I were driving an automatic, I could back myself away from the steering wheel a bit, but the clutch requires that I sit a bit closer than I would in other vehicles. I also am a big user of cruise control, even in the subdivision. Anywhere I can set it, I do. But, part of that is our area is heavily monitored by the local Sheriff's Dept.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts