Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having trouble finding engine upgrades (air intakes, throttle body spacer, turbos) that work for the '06 2.4L. Do parts for the 4L and 2.5L fit onto the 2.4L? If so which ones work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
Do a Google search for the 2.4L NEON/PT Cruiser Turbo.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
I am having trouble finding engine upgrades (air intakes, throttle body spacer, turbos) that work for the '06 2.4L. Do parts for the 4L and 2.5L fit onto the 2.4L? If so which ones work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Really nothing will be interchangeable with the 2.5 or the 4.0. Your 2.4 is a completely different beast.

Other than a re-gear there is not much available for the 2.4 beyond getting into the Neon turbo's

·
Knows a couple things...
49,386 Posts
Not to mention that despite all the hype on their advertisements, throttle body spacers do absolutely nothing to improve the performance when placed under a modern air-only throttle body.

Spacers can and do improve performance when installed under 'wet' devices like carburetors and the old first-generation throttle bodies that provide the air-fuel mixture for the intake manifold, but they don't help when there's just air passing through. The fuel is injected below the throttle body and intake manifold on modern engines so nothing but air passes through the throttle body on all Wrangler TJ engines.

·
Registered
671 Posts
The Dodge Neon/ PT Cruiser upgrades are really all there is unfortunately. There is a company that makes a bolt on Supercharger, but at that price just sell it and buy a 4.0.
I know mine is really picky about Spark plugs ( good old fashioned copper RE16MC's every 30K) and making sure the oil level is good. Mine will burn a quart between oil changes. A faster flowing Cat and performance exhaust will gain you a few ponies but not enough to be worth it for the cost in my book.
Don't go huge on tires. 31s are about as big as you should go. And Pizza Cutters will cut down on weight and rolling resistance a bit. I run a 31x10.5 R15 with a 2" BB lift and I like the way it sits, but if I could find a 9.5 width tire I'd buy them. The stock gearing is 4.11 but keep in mind it's s Dana 30 in front and Dana 35 in the back so re gearing them is a bit expensive vs. getting a desirable result.
You can add turbos, flash the chip, put on a CAI, engine swap( keep in mind the motor mounts are welded and NOT in the same spots as the 4.0) all kinds of stuff. But I haven't seen a single person that after having done it that is happy with the result for how much money it cost them.
It's a small engine in a rolling brick that gets 1MPG better than the Straight 6 and since it's about 200 lbs lighter it had a bit of an advantage in off road F/R weight distribution and the Torque Curve is pretty good in 1st and 2nd gear. But it's a Dog above 60 mph and going up a hill on the highway can leave you... unsatisfied.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Hey for what it's worth I've had my 2.4 since new. It's a dog Leaks oil like a sieve But it's never left me stranded. Starts every time and runs like a top. I just drive it and enjoy it. It's a jeep. I just take my time and enjoy the ride!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts