Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started to notice markings on the floor of my garage.

I own a 2004 Jeep wrangler 4.0 stick.

Just started seeing a leak, looks like its missing a bolt?

Is this oil or transmission fluid? If you look closely to the right of the oil drain bolt you can see a bolt missing and little fluid there..

Hope this is an easy fix with that missing bolt.

If so anyone know what size bolt that would be? What might be leaking? Transmission fluid or oil?

Thanks in advanced..

·
Registered
35 Posts
Started to notice markings on the floor of my garage.

I own a 2004 Jeep wrangler 4.0 stick.

Just started seeing a leak, looks like its missing a bolt?

Is this oil or transmission fluid? If you look closely to the right of the oil drain bolt you can see a bolt missing and little fluid there..

Hope this is an easy fix with that missing bolt.

If so anyone know what size bolt that would be? What might be leaking? Transmission fluid or oil?

Thanks in advanced..

http://s234.photobucket.com/user/MjFinelli/media/IMG_7659.jpg.html[/IMG]
Looks like an oil drip could be from a leaking valve cover or a rear main seal. Not sure size of bolt but should be easy to find one that fits and put it back in.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
The bolt has nothing to do w the leak...
That is just a dust shield

·
Registered
916 Posts
The bolt has nothing to do w the leak...
That is just a dust shield
This ^^^^ is correct.
But first replace the bolt and nut.
Then figure out where the oil leak originates from.
That dust shield protects your engine tranny connection from harmful dirt buildup.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
You don't necessarily need that bolt. To install most of the oil pan skid plates they require you to remove that bolt. Most likely it is a RMS leak as they are relatively common on the TJs.

·
Registered
916 Posts
You don't necessarily need that bolt. To install most of the oil pan skid plates they require you to remove that bolt. Most likely it is a RMS leak as they are relatively common on the TJs.
Yeah, you can go a long way without that bolt and nut.

I still say, put a $3.00 nut and bolt in the open bolt hole, and seal up that dust/dirt scoop.

Reactions: T.Wagner

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Yeah, you can go a long way without that bolt and nut.

I still say, put a $3.00 nut and bolt in the open bolt hole, and seal up that dust/dirt scoop.
Exactly. It's not necessary, but if you don't have a skid plate that blocks you from installing the bolt then you may as well have it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
The leak is most likely the seal. Nothing to worry about, I have not yet seen a single Jeep without that leak lol

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone.. found some youtube videos on replacing the rear main seal. Does not look too bad. going to see how much it cost from my local shop.. if too much might be a fun weekend project :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts