Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My TJ looked like this when I bought it from the PO a year ago. He told me he had it at the beach a lot. I want to treat this and return it to black. I am not good at spray paint/treatment stuff. Better at using a brush so asking if something like monstaliner or rhinoliner, etc would be a good choice.

Attachments

·
Registered
182 Posts
POR-15. You can paint right over rust with the stuff and its basically bullet proof. Its a 3 step process if I remember correctly but from what Ive heard its well worth it and lasts for a very long time.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
POR-15. You can paint right over rust with the stuff and its basically bullet proof. Its a 3 step process if I remember correctly but from what Ive heard its well worth it and lasts for a very long time.
+1

I used POR15 on my frame last summer. Mine was in great condition with a little rust here and there and the POR15 made it look new again. Hard as nails, brushes on and a little goes a long way. You wash/degrease, let dry then brush it on.

·
Registered
272 Posts
This is my plan too. Been researching past week.
Do people Por-15 more parts underneath than just the frame? What dictates if you can or should paint it?
Seems like you paint right over existing nuts/ bolts? Does that create a problem later when they need to be removed?

·
Registered
955 Posts
This is my plan too. Been researching past week.
Do people Por-15 more parts underneath than just the frame? What dictates if you can or should paint it?
Seems like you paint right over existing nuts/ bolts? Does that create a problem later when they need to be removed?
Have been looking into por-15 for quite a few months. Seems like you want to stay way from parts you'll want to move later(nuts, bolts, mating surfaces such as differential cover, etc). Anything else, go to town. Axles, control arms, skid plates, every inch of the frame, etc.

What I'm still unsure about is if it's worth it to paint over factory paint that is still intact. I've considered wire wheeling off all the factory paint and letting the frame develop a layer of surface rust(did this with a small section of the frame, takes about only a week to develop rust). As the paint adheres to surface rust much better than painted/bare metal surfaces.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Have been looking into por-15 for quite a few months. Seems like you want to stay way from parts you'll want to move later(nuts, bolts, mating surfaces such as differential cover, etc). Anything else, go to town. Axles, control arms, skid plates, every inch of the frame, etc.

What I'm still unsure about is if it's worth it to paint over factory paint that is still intact. I've considered wire wheeling off all the factory paint and letting the frame develop a layer of surface rust(did this with a small section of the frame, takes about only a week to develop rust). As the paint adheres to surface rust much better than painted/bare metal surfaces.
I think that would be too much work. Knock off any flaking rust and paint over the entire frame...it will look like new.
I wish I had taken pictures last summer when I did mine. Looked amazing. Still does but not clean and freshly painted look after the winter ravages.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts