Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I am new to the forum and new to the Jeep world. I recently bought a 2011 wrangler Mojave edition. After having it for a few weeks I noticed a weird noise coming from the undercarriage, it sounds like a rattle/flutter/flapping noise. I have gone under the Jeep to look for loose heat shields and y brackets but could not find anything. I’m pretty good at fixing most problems besides major trans or engine work, so any advice as to what this might be would be greatly appreciated, I will include a link to the video. Wrangler noise

·
Registered
2015 Anvil JKUR Hard Rock.
101 Posts
Mine was the heat shield over the muffler in the back. Just a thought.

·
Retired Moderator
100,523 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, from Cave Creek AZ.

Reactions: Blickquickly

·
Registered
2016 Rubicon
4 Posts
Are you by chance running exhaust spacers so the front driveline doesn't hit?

Mine makes a similar noise and come to find out the bolts aren't threaded all the way so the bolt bottoms out but doesn't hold the exhaust flange for the down pipe tight causing an obnoxious rattle at certain rpm.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are you by chance running exhaust spacers so the front driveline doesn't hit?

Mine makes a similar noise and come to find out the bolts aren't threaded all the way so the bolt bottoms out but doesn't hold the exhaust flange for the down pipe tight causing an obnoxious rattle at certain rpm.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
I will have to check this out, I do know that it doesn’t seem to matter what rpm I’m running, sound appears around 25-30 and stays there until I go slower. Thanks for the advice I’m gonna look into this as well

·
Registered
758 Posts
Heat shield. Get a helper in the drivers seat, crawl underneath. Give it gas, at a certain rpm you should hear it. My daughters '08 required a muffler clamp, shield was under the center part, not the muffler (that could be rattling as well). Fixed 10 yrs ago, fine since.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Heat shield. Get a helper in the drivers seat, crawl underneath. Give it gas, at a certain rpm you should hear it. My daughters '08 required a muffler clamp, shield was under the center part, not the muffler (that could be rattling as well). Fixed 10 yrs ago, fine since.
Thanks for the advice, I tried this however the sound doesn’t seem to appear until I am driving above 25mph, very strange. The heat shield above the muffle is tight

1 - 11 of 11 Posts