Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm getting one of these but am worried about how secure it really is when a 12 year old with a crescent wrench can take the entire box home and cut it open. Depending on what's in there I could lose a substantial amount. Has anyone tack welded the bolts after the install?

·
Registered
239 Posts
So I'm getting one of these but am worried about how secure it really is when a 12 year old with a crescent wrench can take the entire box home and cut it open. Depending on what's in there I could lose a substantial amount. Has anyone tack welded the bolts after the install?
i'd pop it open with a screwdriver before I bothered with unbolting it. a bank vault it is not...

·
Registered
692 Posts
If a 12yr old can get those seat bolts out with a crescent wrench, give him whatever he wants, he's not from this world.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
Yup, a 12 year old with a crescent wrench isn't going to get anywhere with either box anytime soon. If you have ever installed one, you know how tough (and how long) those seat bolts are.

A 17 year old with a breaker bar on his 1/2 inch socket set or maybe some kid with an impact drill....sure..

Also, you are not getting into the Tuffy with a screwdriver. The extra "lip" around the door and the indentation on top by the locks makes it really hard to pry open.

Here is the Bestop:

Here is the Tuffy:

·
Registered
292 Posts
If a 12yr old can get those seat bolts out with a crescent wrench, give him whatever he wants, he's not from this world.
Hah! Those seat bolts were pretty tough to undo.... Plus you can put the security bolt in the back. Someone could still get it out of there but it would take more time that I would care to spend if I were a thief.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I mentioned the security bolt in the back. I know the Tuffy has this option but I'm not sure about Bestop.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I mentioned the security bolt in the back. I know the Tuffy has this option but I'm not sure about Bestop.
i have the bestop box under both front seats. there is no security bolt in the rear of the box. just the 2 front tabs under the seat mounting holes.

but like others mentioned already, much easier to pop the lock than to undo the seat bolts...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Would someone recommend one lock box over the other? I'm looking at the Bestop right now.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I've got the Tuffy. It's good. I can't imagine anyone breaking into either one, if you're worried about it happening in something like a parking lot. They'd have to steal your Jeep, take it into a garage, remove the seat and then cut it open. It would not be worth their time.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Thieves look for quick, quiet, and easy. We learned this after my wife's suburban had the wheels stolen. I got the locking lug nut set from gorilla automotive (replaces every lug with a locking lug), Discount Tire put them on for free. We came out twice to see the caps on the ground, and the tires securely attached to the vehicle. Great investment. Her traverse fits in the garage, and non-premium wheels. I am thinking of getting the lugs for my JKU, it'll be kept in the garage, but there might be times when it has to sit outside on road trips and such!

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Would someone recommend one lock box over the other? I'm looking at the Bestop right now.
Tuffy. It's more expensive, but more solid AND more room. The Bestop alternative also has a pretty weak lock compared to the Tuffy.

Attachments

·
Registered
327 Posts
Is there any real testing done to either box as far as the lock being "weaker" or "stronger" or the box itself being better one way or the other? I have the Bestop Box and it seems to be pretty sturdy.

Just wondering if anyone has any reason to prefer one over the other other than their opinion.

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Is there any real testing done to either box as far as the lock being "weaker" or "stronger" or the box itself being better one way or the other? I have the Bestop Box and it seems to be pretty sturdy.

Just wondering if anyone has any reason to prefer one over the other other than their opinion.
The bestop lock has been complained about by many of its owners. Considering its a lock box, that immediately made my decision easy. I also know two people who have the bestop and the lock mechanism feels very cheap compared to mine. Both were not happy after the comparison.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Curious if these limit rear passenger foot room or even front passenger/driver if you have to slide the seat back a bit.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I have the tuffy box and couldn't be happier. I don't see someone taking the time to try and steal the box. As for foot space if you are tall and need your seat further back the front of the box will stick out from the front of the seat but it won't affect anyone sitting in the rear seats

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I have the Bestop one and I am happy with it. I have no experience with the Tuffy though so I couldn't say how the locks feel compared to it. I can say that my lock once got stuck with my Sig 928 locked inside. It took me about 10 minutes of me screwing with the key and lock for it to open. But it hasn't happened again.

But I agree with the other posters, it would not be an easy process to remove it. Plus, usually when I have my carry pistol in there, it is only in it for a bit if I have to run in somewhere that doesn't allow you to carry. Other than that, the gun is on my person at all times. I keep a good flash light and knife in there at all times, but if someone is going to go to that much trouble, they can have those things.

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
Not going to matter "IF" he wants it. They don't use wrenches or screwdrivers...
They use these and it takes them 10 seconds to walk away with your box "IF" the opportunity avails itself.
Boxes keep honest people honest. That's about it.

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
Not going to matter "IF" he wants it. They don't use wrenches or screwdrivers...
They use these and it takes them 10 seconds to walk away with your box "IF" the opportunity avails itself.
Boxes keep honest people honest. That's about it.

only thing I have to say to this is. both times my Jeep was burglarized, they used a screw driver....

Tuffy kept them out the second time (first time was pre-tuffy)

I now have cameras at the house and people don't stop at my driveway anymore. If they do, I'll have them on camera, and they'll have to work to see what's in my lock box(es). They'd better be quiet too...make much noise and no telling what could happen.

the majority of vehicular burglaries are opportunistic. They see a lock box..they say "damnit" and move to your neighbors.

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
Thieves are like Raccoons - They "Learn" .... the thieves that stole your stuff probably hadn't stolen an Angle Grinder - yet.

Full Disclosure: I have Tuffy's under Both front seats. I just don't harbor any expectations about their effectiveness past they are Better than leaving the stuff out in plain sight.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts