Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The usual disclaimer: knowing little about Jeeps yet, I resist the urge to make mods until I understand completely what they're for.

What is the practical (not cosmetic) value of undersized fender flares?

·
Registered
726 Posts
The usual disclaimer: knowing little about Jeeps yet, I resist the urge to make mods until I understand completely what they're for.

What is the practical (not cosmetic) value of undersized fender flares?
Are you talking about flat fenders? If so, then tire clearance

·
Registered
134 Posts
having smaller flares gives you more clearance from trees , rocks , walls and other things when you are off road. I have been off road with my stock Rubicon and and manage to smash my front marker light almost every time. It hits trees that the tires miss. Problem with short flares is that in some states the tire/wheel must be fully covered and you will get ticketed for running short flares.

Reactions: wdg

·
Registered
947 Posts
Tire clearance and clearance from trees etc. I have stock flares and rub them up against something everytime I go off-road and it often pulls out the clips that hold it to the body.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Because their flying rocks never hit their own windshield :lmao:

I think many just want to show more tire, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Also, if you are not keen on a big lift but want a more lifted look, flat fenders give that illusion. Will also let you run larger tires without as much actual lift.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I see flat fenders as a way to keep a low center of gravity so you're not screwing up natural driveline angles. If you want huge tires, but don't want a 5"-6" lift that would require a long arm and a slew of other upgrades, you can use flat fenders to trim a few inches from the required height.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
All valid reasons given above. Some people add them because they think they look cool.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Consensus seems to be that you can run 33s on a stock JKR no problem.
So with flat fenders, can we go up to 35?

·
Registered
113 Posts
So with flat fenders, can we go up to 35?
Absolutely. You can even run 35's on the stock fenders with some rub at full turn, or no rub with mods. That said, I would only recommend this as a cosmetic option for a full time D/D or part-time beach/light-trail driver.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Absolutely. You can even run 35's on the stock fenders with some rub at full turn, or no rub with mods. That said, I would only recommend this as a cosmetic option for a full time D/D or part-time beach/light-trail driver.
Agreed. Nitto Ridge Grapplers in 35 on the stock Recon. No rub with normal driving, but a hard pothole hit will make them touch the fenders. PS Crusher flares are in the garage waiting on a few days of decent weather.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Because their flying rocks never hit their own windshield :lmao:

I think many just want to show more tire, but I could be wrong.
HAHAHA I chipped my own windshield this past weekend on a gravel road in a stiff breeze. I saw the rock kick up on the passenger side and catch the wind and flip over directly into my windshield, leaving a little tiny chip.

So yeah... it is possible!

My reasons were for clearance off road, for the tires and for the trees... I even removed my rear fenders altogether so I could roll the pinch seam up all the way around the rear wheel wells. I was rubbing my 37" tires on the seams in the rear, so I ripped off the fenders and hit the seam with a 2lb hammer until it rolled into the fender well. Then I painted the whole area black with truck bed liner.

DUXflex4.jpg

And let's be honest- it's also for aesthetics.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Dang! Sounds like my luck!,

1 - 14 of 14 Posts