Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to an event today and got to ride up a flex ramp. They gave me a number to represent my score and I tried googling the flex test to try and understand it.

So the flex ramp score is a number that rates the "flexing capability" of my TJ: as in the final number factors the stock wheel base of my make and model of vehicle? A score of 1000 meaning my flex allows me to travel up the ramp the distance of my wheel base?

My number is 974.3. One website listed that a factory 97 tj scores low to mid 400s. Where does my number range in terms of fair, good, or great. And if I got the concept wrong can you guys better explain it to me? I did not calculate the number, it was given to me and I the only others who flexed up there did not tell their numbers and I did not see them do the test

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
very good. I think anything over 800 is a good. and you have it right. if you get 95" up the ramp and your wb is 95" you score 1000 which a great number. some really articulating rigs can score well over 1000 but I would be thrilled with your numbers.

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
RTI scores are meaningless fun and nothing else. They do not tell you anything about your useful suspension travel or if your suspension travel works without interference. They do not tell you if your suspension modifications compliment each other. Two Jeeps can have similar scores, but one might be set up well and the other can be a functional mess. If your coils come unseated, but you are still climbing the ramp, then your higher score simply tells you that your shocks are too long and that your build is out of balance. That extra down travel without spring pressure is useless off-road where it matters.

FWIW, I do know that my current suspension is setup well and that my trash can index is good. :)

My future plans are to build in more functional travel, but an RTi score will play no role in evaluating how successful it is.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I respectfully disagree. I may not have been offroading for years but since I have started almost half a year ago I have gone out every weekend and learned a whole lot about what works and what doesn't. My experience has been that all the I run the smallest tire in my off-road group and the "shortest" lift I perform the best out there. I believe simply because my suspension is allowed to flex more, I air down, and I have lockers front and rear it allows me to traverse everything that my friends with 37s plus get hung up or have difficulty surpassing. So putting 2 and 2 together...
I outperform everyone in my group, I got higher scores. The RTi test counts for a lot. Their are variables like driver skill, being properly equipped, longer track width and numerically lower offset tires, cannot deny that, but I honestly believe these scores can reflect the actual capability of your rig all things constant

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
Do your coils stay seated when you reach the top of the ramp? Mine will. Is your shock travel biased well? Mine is pretty good. Do you run sway bars? I do. Are your bump stops set to where they need to be? Mine are. What is your belly clearance in relation to your ride height and tire size? I suspect that mine is higher, but the ramp doesn't care. We both have lockers, but that doesn't matter on the ramp.

Everything you are saying about articulation, traction and driver's skill are perfectly reasonable when discussing capability. None of that can be quantified and compared simply with an RTI score. Trust me, I have one of the smaller modified Jeeps in the groups I run with. I have been pretty careful and selective about how I have put it all together thus far. My Jeep and I have outperformed many larger more showy builds. And plenty of others with smaller and even stock Wranglers have driven circles around me. Yet there would be no correlations to be made by our respective RTI scores. Because when you begin to understand how all the things work down there you can quickly understand why an RTI score is unable to capture the many variables and nuances that make a vehicle truly capable.

Would I ramp my Jeep? Of course I would. But doing so cannot even begin to tell me what I need to know to build a good suspension. Removing the coils and performing the full bump test is so much more useful.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
No, rti test is absolutely worthless.... it's nothing more than a fun novelty test.

·
Yipeee Kay Ayyy
2,839 Posts
TJs usually score well in RTI test due to the short wheelbase.
I would consider 974 to be an amazing result.
The best I've managed in mine is a teensy bit over 700 but usually score in the high 600's.

sbr 8 - Copy.jpg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts