Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All -

So I am progressing with my stereo transformation :happyyes:

I have a 2015 JK without the factory sub and without the alpine system. It came with the 130S and I swapped in a 730N but was not satisfied with that unit or its navigation so I'm selling that and putting in:

• 5 channel amp - Alpine PDX-V9,
  • aftermarket sub
  • alpine head unit
  • kicker front and rear speakers
One thing I can't figure out is how the stock tweeters are wired up - I thought they perhaps had their own wire running directly to the stock radio harness but that doesn't appear to be the case.

Is there a crossover for the tweeters somewhere?
Are the stock tweeters simply connected (and share) the same speaker wire and simply have a capacitor to block low signals perhaps?

I'd like to keep the stock tweeters at least for now but don't want to blow them with the amp I'll be putting in. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have no idea, but am curious of basically the same thing. I have a 17' with base audio (horrible) and am putting in an aftermarket HU. Plan on coaxials in the front 6.5" holes but curious how new head unit will power the 2.5" dash locations? With factory head unit crossover and equalization gone (heck yeah!!) will the dash 2.5" locations now see full range (i.e. no highpass crossover) and sound even worse with distortion from low frequencies? If I use the high pass crossover function on my aftermarket Kenwood HU will it highpass both the 6.5" and 2.5" in the dash? I assume a yes to both, but have not been able to find answers with lots of searching on here and other places. It would be nice if the 2.5" had its own passive high pass capacitor. I'd actually like to put 3.5" speakers from the factory upgrade Alpine 9 speaker system in the dash for a while ($15 each on ebay) but a little worried about my lack of knowledge of factory crossovers, processing, etc. and what will happen when ditching factory and running the aftermarket HU rather than the amps, processors that Alpine put so much work into. Love the fact we have options with the 2015+ with extra locations for 3.5" or tweeters, but right now it makes my decisions that much tougher and gives me more ways to screw things up...

·
Registered
55 Posts
On the base audio system, the 6.5 and 2.5 speakers are wired in parallel. The 2.5's have a small cap on the speaker to filter out the base. The 6.5's are 4 ohms and the 2.5's are 8 ohms.
If you want to install 3.5's or tweeters on the dash, you will need to filter out the bass frequencies with bass-blockers.
If I was running a 5 channel amp, I would power coaxial's in the sound bar, coaxial's or separates in the dash and the sub.
If running coaxial's in the dash, power them with the amp and you can add 3.5's in the upper dash, powered by the head unit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts