Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had this Jeep for about 6 months now. It is the first automatic Jeep I've ever owned (all 3 previous were manual). I was having difficulty finding a 6M in my price range and color. Everyone talked about how good the new automatic was, and I'm getting older anyway, so I decided to give it a shot.

The more I drive it, the more I don't like it. When I bought the Jeep, the dealer had replaced the original wheels and tires with some Rubi take-offs and likely didn't do anything to adjust for that (the speedometer was off), so I attributed the poor shifting to that. I have since re-calibrated with a Superchips Flashpaq, but it doesn't seem to have helped much.

The Jeep still hunts for gears too much for my liking, and many times won't shift into OD until I take my foot off the throttle. Maybe that's the way it's supposed to be (I don't have anything to compare to) or maybe not.

Other than trying to re-load the program from the Flashpaq, what else can I look for as a problem? I'm at 60k, so I am due for a service, but could that be enough to cause my issues?

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Does your Speedo match an external GPS? That'll tell you if tire size was accommodated correctly.

What diff gears do you have? Tall gears - like the common 3.21 - will cause the symptoms you describe.

Mark

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Put everything back to the way it came from the dealership and let them fix it. Drive a different automatic Wrangler without the rims and tires changed, and compare it. If you are happy with the other one, tell the dealership that they messed up your Wrangler and they need to fix it or use the Lemon law, and get a lawyer.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does your Speedo match an external GPS? That'll tell you if tire size was accommodated correctly.

What diff gears do you have? Tall gears - like the common 3.21 - will cause the symptoms you describe.

Mark

It's closer now than it was before, but I might need to test that again. The mph on the GPS was not constant (+/-2 mph) compared to what I had the cruise set at.

It's 3.21 gears, but I figured the Flashpaq would have fixed the way the transmission shifted once I accounted for the taller tires and that gear set.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Put everything back to the way it came from the dealership and let them fix it. Drive a different automatic Wrangler without the rims and tires changed, and compare it. If you are happy with the other one, tell the dealership that they messed up your Wrangler and they need to fix it or use the Lemon law, and get a lawyer.
I appreciate the advice, but I don't think I need to go that far.

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
For me is it hard to move to an auto for my Jeeps. All have been manuals except the '86 CJ (got a for a great price). I do like the idea of test driving other automatics for a frame of reference.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like 3.21 gears. You'll be happier at 3.73 or 4.10 with stock tire sizes.
It is. And maybe it's just how it will be until I upgrade.

Plans are for upgrades down the road, so I'll just live with it for now I guess.

·
Super Moderator
15,362 Posts
It is. And maybe it's just how it will be until I upgrade.

Plans are for upgrades down the road, so I'll just live with it for now I guess.
Yeah, hold off until you put on whatever size tire you plan on your upgrade, then re-gear. No sense spending money twice...

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
It's closer now than it was before, but I might need to test that again. The mph on the GPS was not constant (+/-2 mph) compared to what I had the cruise set at.

It's 3.21 gears, but I figured the Flashpaq would have fixed the way the transmission shifted once I accounted for the taller tires and that gear set.
Fixing the tire size will make the math right, but it can't make the 3.21s suck less.

Mark

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
Are you sure they programmed it for the correct gears? All it takes is one dumb tech who assumes all sports come with 3.21's, when it really has 3.73's, to mess it all up.

My 3.73 sport came programmed for 3.21's. It was programmed by the dealership.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Are you sure they programmed it for the correct gears? All it takes is one dumb tech who assumes all sports come with 3.21's, when it really has 3.73's, to mess it all up.

My 3.73 sport came programmed for 3.21's. It was programmed by the dealership.
I don't think they did anything to it, other than slap the Rubi take-offs on it. They didn't even bother to clean the mud that was caked underneath it. (I didn't notice it when I bought it...it was dark out).

I knew it had 3.21 gears when I bought it, but I knew I would be upgrading the axles at some point, so I wasn't that concerned about them. And maybe this is just how it is with those gears in it. I'll live with it for now and see what happens when I finally get enough dough to swap axles.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I have factory 4.10's with 35" tires and a superchips recal. My speedo is dead on and the Jeep never hunts for gears on the highway. This is fixable.

On the other hand I also have a 2012 F350 Super Duty with 3.73's and 37" tires. It hunts for gears all the time on the highway AND my mileage dropped to 9mpg

·
Super Moderator
15,362 Posts
I don't think they did anything to it, other than slap the Rubi take-offs on it. They didn't even bother to clean the mud that was caked underneath it. (I didn't notice it when I bought it...it was dark out).

I knew it had 3.21 gears when I bought it, but I knew I would be upgrading the axles at some point, so I wasn't that concerned about them. And maybe this is just how it is with those gears in it. I'll live with it for now and see what happens when I finally get enough dough to swap axles.
I agree.

I like your approach. We just ordered an '18 for the wife with 3.21, front axle will be replaced off the bat and I'll re-gear the back :thumb:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts