Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a 520XL but the power cord is almost severed right where it goes in to the back of the radio. It is around 4 years old and I have never used the PA so for me that is a non issue. Is the RF gain something that is worth having? I only use my cb when on the trail with other buddies and never use it other than that and my group stays pretty close together when offroad. both radios are dirt cheap but the 510xl is really dirt cheap so what does rf gain gain (pun) me?

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I have two 510XLs--one in my Jeep, the other in my tow rig. I have never missed having a gain control, and both radios work very well.

Personally, the only reason I'd run a 520XL is if I thought I needed/wanted a PA (which I do not).

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
RF gain is not needed for general CB use. Go with the 510.

·
Super Moderator
23,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks I figured so as I to be honest I could never remember what to do with it LOL.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford

·
Knows a couple things...
48,971 Posts
In the case of the 520's RF Gain control, it's function is really to allow the gain to be DEcreased. The 510 has its RF gain set full-high internally so you're not getting more 'gain' with the 520.

Reducing the gain can help in rare situations where a nearby powerful transmitter is overloading your CB radio's receiver but that's a pretty uncommon situation. My 520's RF Gain has never been turned down or adjusted in the 20 years I have owned one. :)

·
Super Moderator
23,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
got the 510 for $31 pretty hard to beat the price.

·
Knows a couple things...
48,971 Posts
got the 510 for $31 pretty hard to beat the price.
That and other CB radio costs today are crazy low. I built my first CB in probably 1964, it was an old Heathkit that used vacuum tubes and it sold for $44-45 which was big $$$ then. And it only had support for five channels, plus you had to buy individual crystals for the channels you wanted to run.

This is what it looked like from their 1969 catalog. This was a kit, you had to actually build and tune it to get it to work. Yowsa things have changed. :)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
23,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That and other CB radio costs today are crazy low. I built my first CB in probably 1964, it was an old Heathkit that used vacuum tubes and it sold for $44-45 which was big $$$ then. And it only had support for five channels, plus you had to buy individual crystals for the channels you wanted to run.

This is what it looked like from their 1969 catalog. This was a kit, you had to actually build and tune it to get it to work. Yowsa things have changed. :)
we are spoiled on some things for sure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts