Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to everybody!
First of all I want to thank you for letting me be a part of this great "society" of jeep fans.
I am from Transylvania, and I own a Jeep Wrangler TJ 2.4l with a NV1500 transmission.

3 weeks ago I noticed a light knock coming from underneath the Jeep. I really don't know exactly where the sound comes from so here I need your help(if possible).
I am a little concerned about it.
I am not sure if is the transmission causing this knock so I would like you to tell me how to check that.
One thing I noticed is that in the morning, when the engine is cold, it knocks a little louder and if I press the clutch pedal the knock goes away. If I release the clutch pedal the knock comes back.
The knock can be also heard when idleing(doesn't matter if cold or warm-you can hear it anyway).

Thanks a lot guys!

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I'm willing to bet it's your input shaft bearing on the transmission. Mine does the same thing. Next time I put a clutch in I'm gonna fix it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm willing to bet it's your input shaft bearing on the transmission. Mine does the same thing. Next time I put a clutch in I'm gonna fix it.

Thank you very much, I will fix it also probably when changing the clutch.
Is it bad for the transmission if I keep driving like this?

Thank you very much!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello guys, just changed the bearing and the sound is still there.
I noticed that it doesn't stop even when the engine is warm.

Where should I look?

Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep I listened more carefully and it seems to be coming from the bell housing- somewhere arround the flywheel/clutch.

The knock is hard to notice. Should I let it like that and wait to see if it gets worse or should I take the tranny down and see what is going on?

Thank you

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
You had to take the tranny down to change the input shaft bearing.... Did you see anything wrong while you had it apart before. Like something broken or loose in the clutch and flywheel area?? And if it were me and I had it all apart anyway I would have thrown a new clutch in it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts