Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past few months, I've noticed coolant usage and a random coolant smell. It doesn't happen all the time, some times worse than others.
I figured it was Heater core, but upon Inspection, it's not.
I pressure tested the system with a 5lb loss in the first 5 mins, i kept it pumped up for over and hour and could not find a single drop of coolant anywhere. I scoured the engine, and in the cab. Everything was dry. I can not find this leak anywhere.
This is a 2012 auto with 156000kms
Any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
Check bottom of your radiator and tstat housing for pink residue

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
Check bottom of your radiator and tstat housing for pink residue
I've had both go bad - replaced with new generation all aluminium radiator, and will now do the thermostat housing when I get back.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Nope. I'm thinking a leak on a manifold because of the smell in the cabin. But, I couldn't see anything anywhere leaking. I am completely stumped
It could be a pinhole in the heater core, a few drops of coolant is enough to smell it in the cabin.
I had "coolant odor" with the heater on in my Jeep Liberty, no wet carpets, good pressure test, normal coolant loss, no overheating , AC ok no smell.
Just a light smell with the heater on.
It turned out to be a pinhole in the heater core, it was dripping and instantly drying on the fins. It was barely visible even with the core removed.

·
Super Moderator
7,833 Posts
Usually with a heater core leak there's a smell in the vehicle as @Lemotan mentioned. That's where I'd be looking.

Years ago I encountered a similar situation helping fix a car my FIL owned. Pressure testing revealed a leak, coolant was nowhere to be found. We looked for a while and my FIL said lets start pulling spark plugs. It was a 4 cylinder K-car. I took out the first plug, no problem, the second plug came out and I took a shower in coolant. Bad head gasket, and no white smoke coming from the tail pipe. I'm not saying that's the case here. I'd be looking long and hard at the radiator and heater core.

You could also add some UV dye to the cooling system and drive it a few days and check with a UV dye light. The dye leaves a residue that is detectable if the coolant is flashing off something hot.

·
Premium Member
2,940 Posts
Check and replace radiator cap. Happened to me last year.

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
You'll have to break the system down into components and pressure test again. Isolate the rad and pressure test. Isolate the core and pressure test.... etc.

·
Premium Member
2,940 Posts
well heard back from my dealer today. The radiator fluid reservoir container has small leak. Must be replaced and NOT covered un the extended warranty.(?) $40 to replace.
Guess the very small leak maybe caused the oil pump failure?

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
well heard back from my dealer today. The radiator fluid reservoir container has small leak. Must be replaced and NOT covered un the extended warranty.(?) $40 to replace.
Guess the very small leak maybe caused the oil pump failure?
Just patch it with some epoxy

·
Premium Member
656 Posts
I'd retest the pressure loss and pinch the tube to the overfill to take that out of the equation. The pressure tester may take it out anyway. At least that is what I would do to make sure it's not leaking.

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
For the past few months, I've noticed coolant usage and a random coolant smell. It doesn't happen all the time, some times worse than others.
I figured it was Heater core, but upon Inspection, it's not.
I pressure tested the system with a 5lb loss in the first 5 mins, i kept it pumped up for over and hour and could not find a single drop of coolant anywhere. I scoured the engine, and in the cab. Everything was dry. I can not find this leak anywhere.
This is a 2012 auto with 156000kms
Any thoughts?

Oil cooler/Filter housing is prob leaking

·
Registered
2014 JKU RanchoLift, Flat fender flares, PS front/rear bumpers
56 Posts
I've had both go bad - replaced with new generation all aluminium radiator, and will now do the thermostat housing when I get back.

Do you have the part # of the aluminum radiator ?
Greatly appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
Do you have the part # of the aluminum radiator ?
Greatly appreciate it.
There are a number of all-aluminum radiators out there, at varying price points.

My current installation is the latest Mishimoto v2, and I also have on-hand one of the Cold Case units to install in another Wrangler. I also like the aFe offering, but have not installed one yet. Warranty and reliability are my primary concerns.

Here are some other options that I've had my eyes on, in alphabetical order, and not the complete list of what is available:

aFe -
https://afepower.com/afe-power-46-50012-b-bladerunner-series-radiator

Cold Case (my next to install and a Forum Sponsor!) - https://www.coldcaseradiators.com/product/07-18-jeep-wrangler-jk-jku-aluminum-performance-radiator

Mishimoto (what I last installed) -
https://www.mishimoto.com/jeep-wrangler-jk-radiator-v2-07-18.html

Keep in mind that many also just do OEM replacements.

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
The easy R&R is probably going to go with the factory OEM unit. Do the others cool better? Possibly. Will they go in OK? Probably. We know what the life is out of the factory ones , the question is,,,, how long will the others last. If you love aftermarket and have the coin, go for it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts