Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Checking if anyone has disconnected their Rubicon electronic sway bar wiring and if so if you've had any problem leaving the connector disconnected.

My sway bar electronics and connector shorted and melted, causing all kind of electronic troubles.

Since I'd been disconnecting manually for years I didn't want to spend $1,000's on the repair and the dealer just cut off the connector. The Jeep is running fine according to them (haven't picked it up yet) but they're not 100% sure it won't throw codes in the long term as that system was part of the canbus network.

My feeling is that it'll be fine, but I wanted confirmation if possible.

Oh, and I disabled the swaybar system with my ProCal a while back.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I was sitting on the beach and a lady next site over said your jeep is smoking! Sway bar plug melted down. It even had power hours after the jeep was turned off. I pulled the fuse, cut the plug off, and taped off the wire ends. Been almost a year now without any issues. Just drive around disconnected.

Reactions: Hedgehog2JKU

·
Super Moderator
23,397 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.

:action-smiley:

·
Super Moderator
8,193 Posts
Pull the fuse

·
Premium Member
3,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Will do.

Which begs the question: why didn't the fuse blow when that thing shorted?
Wondered the same thing when mine melted down.

·
Premium Member
3,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
657 Posts
Mine died a while back. I just unplugged it and used the procal to kill the dash light. No problems. Swapped in an EVO no limits kit. It works great. Way better than disconnecting sway bar links (which I tried and hated before getting the EVO kit).

·
Premium Member
3,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just got my Jeep back. Leaving the connector unplugged for now, sway bar is disabled via ProCal. And fuse is out.

I may trace those wires later and just take them out.

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
Just got my Jeep back. Leaving the connector unplugged for now, sway bar is disabled via ProCal. And fuse is out.

I may trace those wires later and just take them out.

Wow, that is a bit worrisome.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
You got to your quicker than I did

Reactions: Hilock

·
Premium Member
3,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You got to your quicker than I did
At least yours was easy to find, what with all the pyrotechnics!

Mine took some detective work to find the problem, at stealership hourly rates...

I've zip tied the connector under the air box, will trace and remove the wires for good measure at a later date.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
At least yours was easy to find, what with all the pyrotechnics!

Mine took some detective work to find the problem, at stealership hourly rates...

I've zip tied the connector under the air box, will trace and remove the wires for good measure at a later date.
Yea and I was sitting less than 20' away when it happened - Got lucky. I just cut and taped off the end which I don't really care for. Let me know how removing the wires go. Planning on replacing it with this sooner or later:

·
Premium Member
3,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
881 Posts
Week before moab this year, sway bar light made it's presence known. Removed motor, I was rained on. Disassembled the motor, there were black marks on the circuit board where the magic smoke was released. Made a cover out of HDPE using same hole pattern. Drilled a drain hole in bottom of the housing. Wrapped plug in a bag and tied up. Installed RK disconnects that came with the lift, that I didn't install when I did the lift.

Superchips had a great deal on their bling for EJS. Acquired a flashcal and turned the light off.

I will not be doing another rubicon e-disco.

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
Any idea what caused the problems?

·
Premium Member
3,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Any idea what caused the problems?
The e-disco and its connector aren't waterproof, so I'm guessing moisture caused the short circuit. And since there's a canbus circuit going to the e-disco, it got shorted as well which causes all kind of weird electrical issues including battery not charging, Jeep not starting, key fob not working, alarm going off, dashboard lighting up like a Christmas tree.

Why would someone think that placing an electronic circuit in a non waterproofed housing below the front bumper of an offroad vehicle was a good idea? Couldn't they have the logic in a central computer safely tucked away with just the actuator exposed, like they did with the lockers?

Probably designed by an engineer who doesn't even have a driver's license.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts