Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I'm headed out to Colorado in a few weeks to do some road biking, mountain biking, and hit a few Jeep trails. We'll be camping at Lake Granby for a few days and I'm looking for advice on what trails to hit that might be somewhat near there.

I've got a '13 JKU Rubicon with a 3" lift and a winch. So we can't do anything insanely technical, but can certainly explore more than just forest access roads. Have any tips?

·
Registered
995 Posts
Going up on the 3rd myself. My wife & will be doing some camping & as many of the trails as possible. :punk:

I just ordered a new winch too. :dance:

Thanks much to Jason at Krawl Offroad! :thumb:

·
Registered
995 Posts
^^

Hmm. Hopefully these are available as a Kindle edition. I'll be checking soon. Not that I don't want to print out your thread or anything.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, I don't know how I missed that thread. I just lost an hour of my work day :)

Thank you for posting such an awesome write up!

·
Registered
66 Posts
If you make it to the other side of the park, there's a fun little loop called Pole Hill about 4 miles SE of Estes Park on 36. Take 36 out of town and turn left on Pole Hill Rd, before mile marker 4. it's a gravel road that winds up the hill past some houses before you get to a small parking area on the left, a little less than a mile up. Stay to the left there and you'll hit a nice rocky slope that's fun and you can pick your route, easily something you can do. The trail is a loop with some camping off shoots, and it has a couple of INCREDIBLE views looking back at Estes and the mountains. You can leave Estes, make the loop and back into town in 2 hours easy. you can do the loop in either direction so you can backtrack if you get lost. this trail is in the Northern CO guide mentioned above, and I would recommend getting that book.

If you go back through RMNP to get back to Granby, take Fall Creek road past Chasm Falls. It's a 1 way (hence the need to do it on the way back) dirt road that pops out up high by the Alpine Visitor Center. A nice break from the main road, doesn't take much longer (15 min) and has some good views at the top.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I would second pole hill road, that was one of the first trails i hit up when i bought my new jeep. As awesome as the other colorado thread is, telluride is about 5 hours through the mountains from where you are planning on going. It is by far the nicest and most scenic part of the state, and is well worth the extra time to go out there if you have it. What dates will you be out here?, im down to run a trail or 2 with you depending on my work schedule and im sure a few of the other CO people on here are as well.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Also, pole hill road will be on your way there, assuming you are taking I-70 and going through denver and boulder. It is on the way to estes park, about 55 miles or so from lake granby, most of which is the drive through RMNP. I would not drive through denver on i-70 between 7-9am or 4-6pm unless you enjoy sitting in traffic.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Monday 8/26
Drive, with another friend, from STL to a friends place in DEN.

Tuesday 8/27
Meet up with another friend in Longmont and road ride there and Boulder. We'll hit Left Hand and Avery breweries that day too.

Wednesday 8/28
MTB ride. Sounds like we're looking at heading out near Winter Park.

Thursday 8/29 through Saturday 8/31
Camp, hike, fish,MTB, and ride trails in the Jeep near Lake Granby and RMMP. Head back to DEN Saturday evening.

Sunday 9/1
Drive back to STL.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Let me know if you think you can make it out at all. It'd be fun to meet up and ride a few trails.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Granby Area

Try these:
E- easy
M- moderate
D- difficult

Stillwater Pass (E)
North Supply Creek (M)
Plane Crash, Ironclads (D)
Middle St. Vrain, Coney Flats (D)
Miller Rock (D)
Lefthand Canyon (D)
Switzerland Trail (E)*
Caribou 4WD Route (M) 13. Stillwater Pass (E)
North Supply Creek (M)
Plane Crash, Ironclads (D)
Middle St. Vrain, Coney Flats (D)
Miller Rock (D)
Lefthand Canyon (D)
Switzerland Trail (E)*
Caribou 4WD Route (M)

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
From Winter Park, you can access the west side of Rollins Pass. Nothing too technical, but great views and some railroad history along the way, and at the top:

TrailDamage.com - Rollins Pass West

There is also Jones Pass, which can be accessed after going through Empire before you start on the first switchback over Berthoud Pass. Nothing technical here, but definitely off the beaten path.

TrailDamage.com - Jones Pass

Like others have suggested, the best trails are in SW Colorado.

BTW - Grand Lake Brewing Company is near Granby - Home

Have fun!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts