Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, new member here. Preparing to do my first jeep project, which is a 3" suspension lift on my 2005 TJ. I purchased the zone offroad 3" kit and a currie adjustable trackbar.

I'm looking to buy an impact wrench to make this job easier. My question is:

1 - Does anyone have a good recommendation on an impact wrench, and whether I should buy a 3/8 or 1/2" type?

2 - Any recommendation on decent impact sockets?

3 - Are there any particular size long pattern wrenches which will come in handy for the project?

Thanks everyone,
Steve

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
Personally I find more use for my 1/2" impact wrench than my 3/8". It works great for stubborn bigger bolts. The smaller ones are usually just as easy to do by hand. Make sure you have a set of torx drivers up in the 40-55 range. I do have a set of impact sockets, but rarely use them. I use all my 1/2" drive sockets on my impact (I know...you're not supposed to) including my 3/8 drive torx ones and I've never had an issue with it. Of course, I just use it to break them free and spin them off, then spin them back on to firm and finish tightening with a torque wrench.

That Currie track bar is a nice piece of top shelf hardware. I just installed one on my TJ.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Personally I find more use for my 1/2" impact wrench than my 3/8". It works great for stubborn bigger bolts. The smaller ones are usually just as easy to do by hand. Make sure you have a set of torx drivers up in the 40-55 range. I do have a set of impact sockets, but rarely use them. I use all my 1/2" drive sockets on my impact (I know...you're not supposed to) including my 3/8 drive torx ones and I've never had an issue with it. Of course, I just use it to break them free and spin them off, then spin them back on to firm and finish tightening with a torque wrench.
Thanks man, much appreciated!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts