Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took a last minute trip to Moab so put over 900 miles on the Jeep including over the Rockies from CO to UT and I was amazed at how well the stock 4.10 gears did.

With 4.10 and 35's in my JK I would be in the far right lane up the inclines trying to stay at 50 MPH.

With the JL I was in the passing lane much of the time even over some of the steepest areas and this is with 130 lbs. per corner with the Ridge Grapplers and beadlocks.

set the cruise control to 85 in Utah and tooled right along.

I will re-gear in a few months when I get the RCVs and Chromoly's to get the crawl ratio back and improve fuel mileage (hopefully) since I averaged about 14 MPH on the trip. Low speeds are also not as smooth as stock right now.

Just wanted to provide some real world experience to those who may be wondering.

The new 8-speed transmission really is amazing.

·
Registered
129 Posts
What ratio are you planning on? I went to 4.56’s with 35”s on my JK and LOST mileage over the stock 3.73s :(

So far 37”s on my JL are doing pretty well (also at 130 lbs of wheel/tire).

·
Registered
29 Posts
HAPPY NEW YEAR! No codes with stock gears? I'll probably go with 4.88 on 37's and a recommended reflash by local shop. Just Empty Every Pocket!

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What ratio are you planning on? I went to 4.56’s with 35”s on my JK and LOST mileage over the stock 3.73s :(

So far 37”s on my JL are doing pretty well (also at 130 lbs of wheel/tire).
Planning on 4.88; that will get me back to the original ratios and I've heard good things about it.

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HAPPY NEW YEAR! No codes with stock gears? I'll probably go with 4.88 on 37's and a recommended reflash by local shop. Just Empty Every Pocket!
Happy New Year back attcha! No codes at all and I've been pleased overall, but at low speeds it feels a little funky and of course I only have 8th gear going down hill.

The regear is not a must, but it'll run better.

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you, how about "death wobble" issues. I've been reading up on the issue in other threads
All the steering components are brand new so no death wobble. Those components will wear out faster with the heavy tires and I will be upgrading them as well. 37's are a journey.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts