Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
looks like the pistons could use a good scrubbing, and ya need to flush that orange looking crap out.....
hope ya didn't take the top off of a can of worms.....
It's not quite a can of worms but it's just a lot of issues related to the same thing, but those are some shiny cylinder walls!

·
Super Moderator
13,321 Posts
Smart move to tape and label all connectors. Be sure to use a dab of dielectric grease when snapping them back together.

Before I put coolant back in that engine, once it's all back together and ready to run, I'd fill the cooling system with plain water and a couple cans of cooling system flush. Then drive the Jeep through a couple cycles of up tp operating temp (a couple miles or so) and then allow it to cool. I'd do at least two flushes. Depending on what came out during the second flush draining, I might even do a third flush. Now is a good time to replace any radiator or heater hoses that are the least bit sketchy. The 195* thermostat is a good candidate for replacement too.

Do you plan to take the head to a machine shop for cleaning, checking and overhaul?

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Smart move to tape and label all connectors. Be sure to use a dab of dielectric grease when snapping them back together.

Before I put coolant back in that engine, once it's all back together and ready to run, I'd fill the cooling system with plain water and a couple cans of cooling system flush. Then drive the Jeep through a couple cycles of up tp operating temp (a couple miles or so) and then allow it to cool. I'd do at least two flushes. Depending on what came out during the second flush draining, I might even do a third flush. Now is a good time to replace any radiator or heater hoses that are the least bit sketchy. The 195* thermostat is a good candidate for replacement too.

Do you plan to take the head to a machine shop for cleaning, checking and overhaul?

Good Luck, L.M.
I am taking the head in for a valve job and I'm gonna do a more thorough inspection myself before I decide on what needs to be replaced, I have a list of things I'm replacing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts