Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 05 LJ that came with led headlamps and I'd like to update the halogen fogs to led. I really feel overwhelmed with what to choose so I'd like ideas; maybe pictures of anyone who has some? I'm also sorta clueless with the electrical side of it. Will I be able to just get replacement ones that I can plug into the current connector?

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 Jeep TJ
4 Posts
It can be done.

I just changed mine out from stock fogs to LED's the other day. Took about an hour. Not hard to do at all. I have a 2001 TJ.

Since you're going aftermarket, you will need to clip off the OEM connectors. Then use wire butt connectors to attach each end of the wires to the stock wiring system. Mount the LED lights in the stock location after removing the OEM fogs. Then crimp the blue wire to the LED lights red wire and crimp the black wire to the LED black wire. You might want to consider heat shrinking the connectors as they are going to be near the wheel wells or at least use some wire loom/wrap and cover all the wires. Looks better too. Check fuse (20amp) and check your work by turning on your parking lights and pulling on the turn signal arm which should activate the fogs. The green indicator light should also come on to remind you that your fogs are on.

·
Full Size Jeep Dr.
3,432 Posts
I don't have any pictures handy, but I bought the Hella Optilux 4" LED fog lamps. As mentioned by fyr145, I spliced the factory fog light connectors onto the Hellas to make them 'plug and play'. They're very bright, the same temperature/color as the Truck-Lites I have, and provide a very good fill-in for the sides and directly in front.

·
Premium Member
8,358 Posts
Most of the LED fog lights are visually different from the stock lights. However, the stock lights take an H3 bulb and there is an LED replacement for the H3. I have not used them - yet.

When I bough my TJ, the right side fog light had a large rusty area on the reflector and a little over a year ago I hit a deer in the road. I had come around a corner and almost got stopped. Total damage was a broken left fog light. So I have run without them for a while. I now have the replacements which came with H3 halogen bulbs so I plan to install the LEDs. It should all be done by the end of next week.

Here is a link to one of many: https://smile.amazon.com/Calais-Bri...h3 led bulb&qid=1503040395&ref_=sr_1_3&sr=8-3

Here is what the halogen bulbs look like:https://smile.amazon.com/Philips-Cr...h3 led bulb&qid=1503040395&ref_=sr_1_8&sr=8-8

·
Registered
721 Posts

·
Knows a couple things...
49,418 Posts
Just take the fog light's bulb number (or the bulb itself) with you into a well equipped auto parts store, they'll have a direct replacement LED bulb that will fit into the existing bulb socket.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Most of the LED fog lights are visually different from the stock lights. However, the stock lights take an H3 bulb and there is an LED replacement for the H3. I have not used them - yet.
Don't bother. I tried it and it doesn't work. The LED doesn't pattern the same as an H-3 bulb.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The previous owner put quadratec headlamps in- should I be concerned with my new fogs not matching if I go with hella or kc? Not sure what bulbs are in them vs h3 ones? Sorry clueless

·
Premium Member
8,358 Posts
Not matching in which way?

Running with the fog lights on when the headlights are on only illuminates right in front of the vehicle. The color of the light will not match, but is that important to you?

My 2017 came with Mopar LED headlights and fog lights and even LED side marker lamps. Tail light still appears to be incandescent, but I haven't taken the cover off to check. Not sure about the parking/turn signals either. But then I've only had it three weeks.

The one thing I would not do is as fyr145 said and that is to go with a generic fog lamp and cut the OEM connectors off. Once you do that it's hard to go back. If you do want to go generic, use the Quadratec adapters and cut the non OEM style end off. Then you still preserve the OEM connection.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/97109_09X6_PG.htm

These are the very same adapters that come with the KC Hilites #1131 that I have and the Quadratec lights you referenced.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have the KC LED's and love them. Also like the period-correct design. I did TruckLite headlights. They match very well

'04 TJ Rubi 5-spd. OME Suspension. JKS Upper/Lower Arms. JKS Track Bars. JKS Quick Disconnects. Curry HD Steering. Rokmen Hardware. Black Magic/Vanco BBK. Crown SS lines. SpiderTrax. DuraTrac A/T's. TruckLites. KC Pro-Sport LED's. Borla Exhaust. Brown Dog Motor Mounts. AutoLite Plugs. Xenon Flares. AGM battery & custom cables. Custom Audio. BedTred.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have quadratech LED headlights, fogs, and a-pillar cubes on my LJ. I am extremely satisfied with their lights and the fogs are plug and play into your OEM connectors.
The fogs are insanely bright and match the color temperature of my other lights exactly.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have quadratech LED headlights, fogs, and a-pillar cubes on my LJ. I am extremely satisfied with their lights and the fogs are plug and play into your OEM connectors. The fogs are insanely bright and match the color temperature of my other lights exactly.

Do u have any pics?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have quadratech LED headlights, fogs, and a-pillar cubes on my LJ. I am extremely satisfied with their lights and the fogs are plug and play into your OEM connectors. The fogs are insanely bright and match the color temperature of my other lights exactly.

Do u have any pics?
IMG_3122.jpg

IMG_3120.jpg

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics. The color temp of the headlights is much closer to the other lights than it appears in this photo. I can't tell a difference when looking at them in person

·
Registered
2 Posts
Can I use those adaptors to connect kc hilites to stock fog light connections. Or do I need to use the wiring harness that came with kc hilites?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Just take the fog light's bulb number (or the bulb itself) with you into a well equipped auto parts store, they'll have a direct replacement LED bulb that will fit into the existing bulb socket.
This is usually a recipe for excessive scatter. Most LED bulbs are not designed for reflectors and the resulting scatter blinds oncoming drivers. They are not very effective as lights either but they are BRIGHT.

People want your money and will sell you anything. They don't care who gets hurt. If you don't care either then don't complain when you get hurt.

I know the theory, see it daily and nightly.

·
Premium Member
8,358 Posts
Can I use those adaptors to connect kc hilites to stock fog light connections. Or do I need to use the wiring harness that came with kc hilites?
If the lights you purchase had a Deutch connector which is fairly common among after market lights, then you can get an adapter that is 6" long and has the OEM type connector at one end and the Deutch at the other.

When I purchased my Rubicon in that a rusted spot on the reflector on the passenger side and then I hit a deer (almost stopped) which broke the one on the drivers side. I went with the KC #1131 which includes the OEM adapter. You do have to drill out the mounting hole as the attaching bolt is slightly larger. It takes a 13/32 drill bit, if you have a 3/8" you can probably ease the edges a bit and get by, but I spend the $6 at the hardware store on the correct bit.

Here is the link to the 1131s on Quadratec's site:
https://www.quadratec.com/products/97047_120X_PG.htm

Although not shown in the picture above, here is the adapter (included with the 1131 fog light):
https://www.quadratec.com/products/97109_09X6_PG.htm

1 - 20 of 26 Posts