Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found a number of new Wrangler owners doing "take-offs" with their wheels/tires and am interested to use on my TJ SE. I found a set of 17" rims (4 aluminum and 1 steel/spare) with very low mileage 245-75-R17 Bridgestone Duelers. Can run these using adapters from my 5X4.5 pattern to the 2020 Wrangler's 5X5 pattern?

My current tires/wheels are P225-75-R15) or 28.29" diameter and 8.9" width Proposed tires/wheels 245-75-R17 or 31.47" diameter and 9.65" width

Thanks!!

·
Retired Moderator
100,468 Posts
:welcome: to the Forum..:wavey:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have found a number of new Wrangler owners doing "take-offs" with their wheels/tires and am interested to use on my TJ SE. I found a set of 17" rims (4 aluminum and 1 steel/spare) with very low mileage 245-75-R17 Bridgestone Duelers. Can run these using adapters from my 5X4.5 pattern to the 2020 Wrangler's 5X5 pattern?

My current tires/wheels are P225-75-R15) or 28.29" diameter and 8.9" width Proposed tires/wheels 245-75-R17 or 31.47" diameter and 9.65" width

Thanks!!
I have been running spacers for a few years. I had only one issue (right after I bought the jeep) in which my hub bolts worked loose and broke a couple of bolts. This was caused entirely by me not torquing properly and not re-applying lock tite.
Wheel adapters are not a place to pinch pennies. I would suggest using a known and trusted brand and make sure that they are a hub-centric design (many on Amazon and Ebay claim to be hub-centric but are in fact lug-centric).
Quality adapters installed properly work great. I checked torque after the first 500 miles or so and every few thousand thereafter and have had zero issues... even up to 95mph (on a closed course, of course ). Just follow the instructions carefully make damn sure you use thread lock!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
What's the question? Those tires are too tall for anything except street use, unless you lift it a little. I've used wheel adapters on several of my Jeeps with 35" tires. Don't be fooled into thinking you need the expensive adapters like Spidertrax. It's the stud strength that matters. I torque mine down and then use a dab of silicone seal on the threads. You never need to check them again because they can't come loose until you want them too. I paid $68 for all 4 of mine from Titanwheelacc on ebay.
Brand New Billet Aluminum Wheel Spacers / Adapters
- T6061 Billet / CNC Machined
- Comes with everything needed to install spacers onto vehicle
- These are designed to push the wheels out 1.5" from your stock settings
- Mainly used to give your vehicle an aggressive stance, and will help with any clearance issues (if present)
- Comes with 10.9 grade pressed in wheel studs and open ended lugs that have a 1/2"x20 pitch

p.s. I took a direct hit by a car to my rear tire at 50 mph and the spacer held up great. Broke the axle, driveshaft, control arms and lots of other stuff though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have been running spacers for a few years. I had only one issue (right after I bought the jeep) in which my hub bolts worked loose and broke a couple of bolts. This was caused entirely by me not torquing properly and not re-applying lock tite.
Wheel adapters are not a place to pinch pennies. I would suggest using a known and trusted brand and make sure that they are a hub-centric design (many on Amazon and Ebay claim to be hub-centric but are in fact lug-centric).
Quality adapters installed properly work great. I checked torque after the first 500 miles or so and every few thousand thereafter and have had zero issues... even up to 95mph (on a closed course, of course ). Just follow the instructions carefully make damn sure you use thread lock!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
This is great info. I was not aware of hub-centric vs. lug-centric. I use thread lock (removable version) all the time to secure firearm accessories. Makes even more sense to use it here.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What's the question? Those tires are too tall for anything except street use, unless you lift it a little. I've used wheel adapters on several of my Jeeps with 35" tires. Don't be fooled into thinking you need the expensive adapters like Spidertrax. It's the stud strength that matters. I torque mine down and then use a dab of silicone seal on the threads. You never need to check them again because they can't come loose until you want them too. I paid $68 for all 4 of mine from Titanwheelacc on ebay.
Brand New Billet Aluminum Wheel Spacers / Adapters
- T6061 Billet / CNC Machined
- Comes with everything needed to install spacers onto vehicle
- These are designed to push the wheels out 1.5" from your stock settings
- Mainly used to give your vehicle an aggressive stance, and will help with any clearance issues (if present)
- Comes with 10.9 grade pressed in wheel studs and open ended lugs that have a 1/2"x20 pitch

p.s. I took a direct hit by a car to my rear tire at 50 mph and the spacer held up great. Broke the axle, driveshaft, control arms and lots of other stuff though.
Thanks for the info. No serious off-road planned until I do a modest lift. Do the instruction supply the amount to torque them?

·
Registered
2,919 Posts

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
My jeep cries a little every time it passes another tj w jk or jl wheels....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts