Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I want to change the engine in my 2000 Wrangler from the 4 cylinder 2.5 engine up to the 6 cylinder 4.0 engine.can I do that and will it hook right up to the current 5 speed manual trans. I am an old Jeep driver just getting back into it with my son. can anybody give me a definite answer. Thanks.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I cannot comment on this for the TJ but when i looked into it with my old YJ it made more sense to sell the 4 banger and buy a 6cyl instead.

And for the record, i just kept the 4 banger well, until i sold it right before my son was born to get something a little less drafty and easier to put a car seat in.

·
Registered
103 Posts
If I want to change the engine in my 2000 Wrangler from the 4 cylinder 2.5 engine up to the 6 cylinder 4.0 engine.can I do that and will it hook right up to the current 5 speed manual trans. I am an old Jeep driver just getting back into it with my son. can anybody give me a definite answer. Thanks.
From what I have heard, the 4.0 doesn't swap in as easily as you would think, and it's cheaper and easier to sell the 4 banger and buy a 4.0 liter.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
The effort to swap in a 4.0L is approximately the same effort to swap in a v8....it's custom and hardly cost effective. Since a TJ with a 4.0L already in it is only a few thousand more, it is more cost effective to sell the 2.5L TJ and buy one with the 4.0L. :thumb:

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Agreed...cheaper and easier to sell your current 2.5 and buy a 4.0...

And to answer your question, no it will not simply bolt in and no it won't mate to your ax5...

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
If you want to do a swap look into a gm ls motor swap. The 5.3 is a very common swap for a tj these days. The 4.0 would require new frame mounts, transmission and transfer case input. It is a little more work to do the ls motor, but the power you gain and fuel you will save with a lighter, much more efficient engine will pay off in the long run.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am getting ready to do the swap from 2.5 to 4.0. But only because I blew the 4-banger up and I have $6k in other upgrades on my Jeep. I dont want to start over with another Jeep. If anyone has actually done this.... what are some lessons learned to make this easier for me?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts