Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I checked out my Hard Drive space today just out of curiosity. I have nothing on it, and mainly use Sat radio and Spotify. I do however have a very large music collection I have been building for the last 20 years or so.

My unit, 2017 JKUR has a 40 gig hard drive. Where they found a hard drive this small I have no idea. Has anyone attempted to but a larger HDD in it, even possibly an SSD? If so how did the install go?

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
I checked out my Hard Drive space today just out of curiosity. I have nothing on it, and mainly use Sat radio and Spotify. I do however have a very large music collection I have been building for the last 20 years or so.

My unit, 2017 JKUR has a 40 gig hard drive. Where they found a hard drive this small I have no idea. Has anyone attempted to but a larger HDD in it, even possibly an SSD? If so how did the install go?

I know some folks have upgraded. IMO all the factory systems are not worth effort. Replacement radios can be purchase for around $300 and sound much better than any offered factory HU. Replacement units can retain steering controls and dump the uconnect system which is garbage compared to aftermarket systems.

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
Yeah, what Jay said.

Plus with some of the newer head units you can put your music on an SD card which have gotten larger and cheaper recently.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
There really is no need for the hard drive when it comes to music. The 430 radio takes USB memory sticks..

I have a 64 Gig thumb drive full of music. I leave it plugged in to the USB port in the armrest compartment. (If you need more space, you can get 256 Gigs and higher).

When I want to hear music on my thumb drive, I tap the voice button on my steering wheel. The radio says, "Please say a Command". I say "USB".. The radio then loads the USB stick and starts playing. (Or, you can get there without talking by using the 'Media' button)....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts