Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I upgrade the bumper on my 2017 JK UL....from factory to something heavier...do I need to do anything to accommodate the additional weight?

I searched the Mega Bumper thread---did not see anything specific to adding a lift, etc.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
It's just going to depend on factors like your current suspension, your currents stance, and if it does drop a bit, how much is too much for you. It's mainly a visual thing. Some people will add spacers. Mechanically you should be fine, especially if you are running a lift. They are designed to be used with heavier bumpers, armor, winch, etc.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I replaced both bumpers with smittybilt XRC gen 2 steel bumpers and it did not affect my 2017 Sahara at all (I measured before and after). You need to consider that the suspension on a new jeep is set up to take the weight of several passengers before you start to see your jeep weighed down, so an empty jeep without any passengers definitely looks the same. I don't know if my jeep is sagging when I put five people inside of it but then again I'm in the Jeep and I don't notice.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I replaced both bumpers with Barricade HD bumpers, about 80 lbs heavier than original on each end.

I didn't notice any difference in ride or suspension performance.

I removed the spare tire carrier and spare. I notice that cruise control takes a smaller bump to disengage on the highway. I didn't notice any real change in stance or performance.

For me, the ride changes more based on tire pressure than anything else. From the dealer, the wheels/tires (upgraded to Rubicon MT Standard Equipment) were at 45 psi and I drove that way for over 5000 miles.

Now I run them at 37 psi. It experiences a little more body roll, and rides a bit smoother.

YMMV...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts